CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

paddles- 10 vs. 8

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paddles- 10 vs. 8

got a set of used 20 inch 10 paddle haulers. got them before I started using the forum [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] then I see most people recomend the 8 paddle for a stock bike. what are the pros and cons of each ? personally I think it runs pretty good with them . nothing close to stock has consistently beat it, includeing YFZ's so I was wodering what i would gain with the 8's. Thanks

john

Old 12-15-2003, 08:56 PM
Range Rover

I'm not an expert, but from what I understand the more paddles you have the less likely you are to reach full rpm's, it just puts more load on the engine. Going down on your counter sprocket might help, especially if you race up the hill.

Old 12-15-2003, 09:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Jerfinds is right. I run the 22x11x10 10paddles on a Pipe and Jetted DS. They are real good for holeshot on short runs. If your out west you may want less paddles due to the longer runs and more top end needed. We run real short runs here so the 10 paddles work great.

I think the biggest thing you are going to find is the 20 tire doesnt have alot of side wall and you will find yourself digging into the sand instead rising above it. Thats why I changed from the 20's to the 22's. More side wall, better floatation on top of the sand. Thats why you see alot of drag bikes running 22's on 8 inch rims.

Old 12-15-2003, 10:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

i went from 20 to 22 inch for much better flotation, 22 inch is much better for just about everything on the DS imo.
10 paddles were fine for me around sea level and in Michigan and Oklahoma sand, but trips out west at high altitudes where hp is lost at 5K' proved the 10's to be too much - hard to maintain rpm and holeshots suck.
IMHO 8 pdl for stock, 9 for stock bore mods, and 10 for the big bores, all 22".

i ran 20" 10 pdl for a long time, and going to 22" is night and day - I would get beat in drags badly by guys wearing 22" tires so one day I swapped a guy my 20's for his 22's and the tides turned - the results were completely swapped as well. that's when I became a believer and made the move.

Old 12-15-2003, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

hardly anything touches me out of the hole. no stock raptors, no piped raptors. big bores with internals ,yes. stock or piped banshees, no. stock YFZ's, no . PIped and jetted , close. So, if I drop a tooth in front could i pick up a little top end by not working it so hard?

Old 12-15-2003, 11:33 PM
Range Rover

Yes, dropping you counter one tooth will help it rev higher, and also help in the holeshot. The thing you have to watch is what rpm you are at when you race, you want to be in a good pulling rpm range up the hill, if you drop your counter, then you may have to shift to a higher gear which you really dont want to do because then you will not have the rpm's to pull. If you bog up the hill then yea, drop you counter a tooth.

Old 12-15-2003, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

out where I ride it is a flat drag- no hills.

Old 12-16-2003, 03:05 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

crazypainter, if you are getting great holeshots I'd experiment with gearing first, it's alot cheaper. Sand is not a solid, you need two things, floatation and traction. It sounds like you have plenty of both for your conditions. A paddle rotates and makes contact with sand for a given amount of time, the larger the tire, the longer the paddle will stay in the sand. I've heard that as paddles go the effect is the same for a 10 paddle 20" tire or 9 paddle 22". I recomend the 8 paddle 22" extreme for best all around duning in many sand conditions. I've tried alot of tires! Now realize that 8 extreme paddles are equal to 9 regulars and you'll see that you are right in the ballpark for paddles and your sand must have enough density to handle 20" tires. Believe me if you don't have enough float you would know it.
Lastly, every paddle is a scoop that shovels sand to move your quad, after your quad is moving you really don't need that many paddles and every extra paddle robs a slight amount of horespower so it's a trade off. In the days of 200X 3 wheelers and 1600 vw rails those little hp drops were important. Now in drag racing, you spend the most amount of time going the least amount of distance, which is the start. Drag racers usually try to get the start nailed even if they give up a few mph on the top end.
Hightower, I'm glad you became a believer, the only downside i see to 22's are slightly increased rotating weight and a slightly raised center of gravity.

Old 12-16-2003, 08:51 PM
Range Rover

Well said mystereid. as far as rotating weight, I just got my new 22in extremes in and they weigh a half pound lighter per tire than the 20in sand stars. 22in extremes 11.5 pounds ..... 20in sand stars 12 pounds

Old 12-16-2003, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

I'll try gearing down a tooth in front . Thanks for all the replies

John