CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Fired the 720.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fired the 720.....

No luck... I can't get this thing fired up. Ughhhhhh

Maybe I'll get a brand new 46HV.

Old 12-21-2003, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

Then give me your lectron 44![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 12-21-2003, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider

Right now when I remove the airbox snorkel and I try to fire it it emits a backfire like spark. Any ideas? Anyone?

Punish make me an offer...

Old 12-21-2003, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider

Do you have a stk carb to try as someone has suggested?

The back fire sounds like a cam timming issue...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 12-21-2003, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider

If it is backfireing through the carb, it is lean. Turn the needle "IN" or "clock wise" one full turn. If it still back fires, turn it in one more turn.

Be sure that the flat side of the needle is faceing the motor.

DuneDevil

Old 12-21-2003, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

i'll give ya $20 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-21-2003, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider

BartlettRacing May have a point. Back when I went to Silver Lake my Raptor was running like crap. I found out the valves were way out of adjustment. Well I got Shim under buckets and Gary said they are of a kawaski brand. Now where do I find them? I guess I need to talk to Gary on this. What a headache. I opened the valve cover and the cams are lined up properly.

THe bike did run. Why it doesn't all of a sudden is a mystery to me. I'm glad it's the down time cause I'm hoping I can get this thing running for prime time riding season. I will get a feeler gauge tomorrow and attempt to check the tolerances. How do you check the clearances? I assume you stick the feeler between the cam lobe and the bucket. I forget what the tolerances should be. Anyone?

Old 12-21-2003, 09:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DuneDevil

Remember this, you have to have three things in order for the motor to run.
1)fuel
2)air
3)spark
Once it has all three, then you have to make sure it sparks at the right time.

If you do not have one or the other, it will not start.

4-things. . .

Compression is the last item.

Without compression you just have a fire [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] QuadBQ [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Bartlett. . . kinda like nails on a chalk board huh!

If you have a dry cylinder it is also a good idea to pour a teaspoon of oil into the spark-plug hole to lube the jug as you prome the oil the first time. (After engine assembly!)

I agree with Bartlett. Pull the valve covers and check things out. Go ahead and pull the cams off and put a generous amount of assembly lube on the cams and the cam journals (the journal's often get scratched up.) Re-check your timing.

Many of us have had "Do Overs" I would say this it a good time to use your Mulligan and re-check things.

Old 12-21-2003, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider

Well I know I'm getting fuel. I see the bowl empty out after repeated attempts to start it.

I'm getting spark cause I see backfire coming out.

Air I can only assuming is OK

and Lastly I think I have compression. When I crank it I can hear it from the exhaust and feel a bit of a gust with every attempting stroke... at this point I don't know what to do.

I'm starting to wonder if the cams are the problem. Gary did say he set them up for me.

Old 12-21-2003, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

BartlettRacing

I pretty much did what you said. I tried it with wide open throttle, nada. I covered the intake area of the carb, I felt vaccum and my hand had some gas on it, still no go. I do se a spark coming out of it once in a while when I'm on the starter for a bit. I hear the motor wanting to start/stumble to start to get going but no avail. For some reason it is not firing at ALL. It did when we first started it and one wick on the throttle it died out. I don't know what gives.

Tomorrow I'll go out and buy a feeler gauge and see what the tolerances are. If any are out of whack I guess I will have to order a shim set and get going on this. I'm feeling a bit bummed now about this.

Again guys I didn't put this in all dry. I lubed up the cylinder and rings pretty good. I also bought an oil gun and slung oil any and everywhere I could. I did pour a crapload of oil in the head area. The only down thing I did is that I let it sit a few weeks and I didn't prime it. Upon removing the valve cover I was worried I'd see a nightmare but it doesn't look as bad as I imagined. I guess when I do an oil change I'll see what damage I might have one.

Quick Reply: Fired the 720.....