CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Cheapist place for axle bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheapist place for axle bearings?

Are these something I should get from the local dealer? or is there a cheap place on line for stock 01 DS axle bearings..

Old 12-22-2003, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

Check at napa. All they are is timkin trailer bearings so an auto parts store should have them. I got mine at a regular bearing shop for $20 a piece.

Old 12-22-2003, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider

I blew out my bearings this weekend also. Local dealer wanted 14 a piece for the bearings and 9 bucks for the seals total cost 50 bucks with tax. Not too sure if this was the best price around, but I didnt want to wait and experiment with auto part stores. Any tips for a first time rebuilder? Thanks

Old 12-22-2003, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

Just remove everything from the left side of the axel (hub, caliper, rotor, preload nut), loosen the chain (may have to pull the countersprocket) enough to get it off the rear sprocket, hold a piece of 4x4 against the left end of the axel and give it a couple of sharp blows with a maul--should loosen that easily. everything will then slide out to the right side. It only took me about an hour and a half to completely regrease my bearings last time.

Old 12-22-2003, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

O, I thought the seal WAS built into it.. I did not realize they were seperate...
and 50 bucks for both sides is not bad. I thought that was PER side..
Sweet. I will head to the dealer then.

Old 12-23-2003, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider

I know this sounds like a stupid question... but what are the exact steps on regreasing the bearings. I replaced the axle carrier and bearings on a Raptor.. but when I looked the bearings they have like a black rubber or plastic lining that hides the bearings. Is that removable? I think my bearings are either due for replacement or at least a greasing. I'm kind of clueless on this so any detailed info would be extremely helpful. Thanks!!

Old 12-23-2003, 01:21 PM
Pro Rider

I was chicken to ask also [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
how do you replace JSUT the seals?

Trending Topics

Old 12-23-2003, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider

I think if your careful enough you can reuse the seals. I'd rather replace them tho... I'm not careful enough. I'd rather peice of mind in knowing they are replaced.

Old 12-23-2003, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I ripped the seal not the bearing [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

I will just get both then have the dealer press them in. THen I dont have to worry about messing it up.

Old 12-23-2003, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

Exact steps...hmmm.

1. Remove cotter key, hub nut, and washer from left wheel...simplifies reassembly--instead of pulling 4 lugs, just remove the one big one[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] pull wheel and hub (still held together by the 4 lugs) off axle (you'll find an o-ring at the outer side of the hub that keeps the dust from the spined axle area)

2. Remove brake calliper (two bolts) you don't need to bleed them or disconnect the brake line or anything...just the two bolts that hold it in place.

3. Remove the 10mm bolt and nut on the retaining adjusting nut (big aluminum thing with one bolt) then tighten it (righty) to expose a ring retainer hidden underneath the outside edge. Remove the ring carefully (spread just enough to get it out of the groove and then gengerly slide it off the axle. Now back the big aluminum thing off it's threads and slide it off the axle (another o-ring inside the big aluminum thing that will make you think you can't slide it off the axle).

4. Sit on the ground with the axle pointing at your gut and grab ahold of the brake rotor/hub and see if you can get it to work loose from the axle...it is on a splined portion of the axle just like the wheel hub is.
If you can't get it to break loose now is the time to loosen and remove your chain from the rear sprocket. You should know how to do that...if you don't just ask or look in your owners manual on adjusting the chain.

5. Put a piece of 4x4 or like scrap wood against the left end of the axle and drive the axel out to the right side using a maul (short handled sledge)--shouldn't have to hit it too many times for it to move--you should have a buddy helping you with this and you should have your quad elevated in the rear--once the axle and right side assembly begin to move you should be able to grab ahold of your righthand tire and pull it all out.

6. your seals, bearing, and carrier will still be in the swingarm. carefully remove each seal and bearing (carrier also) and head to the parts washer or break out the chemtool or whatever. thoroughly clean everything. inspect your axle for wear/grooving/gauling/rust...use steal wool or lightly with 400 or higher grit sand areas of question (youre just trying to clean it up) look at the rollers in the bearing cases for chewed up/missing/etc. replace if in doubt.

7. use synthetic grease LOTS OF IT! I use a zip lock bag--put a bunch of grease in it drop in the bearing and squish it into the rollers real good.

8. reassemble

9. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Cheapist place for axle bearings?