CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

New Hog ATV

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 07:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Hog ATV

Hey gang, thanks for the interesting comments (except Starky who seems to be on drugs or something).
The sidecar is currently setup for off-road racing, with the end goal at Paris-Dakar in January 2005.
Next month we'll do the Parker 250 desert race.
No, it's not a "death trap", except for those who haven't got a clue.

Earlier this year it was setup for smooth fast stuff, like Pikes Peak Hill Climb, where we won for the 4th time.
Pikes Peak action photos and story

For those of you into new and upcoming quad stuff, watch for the STREET LEGAL quad from Sa*** (Germany). Various motors have been or will soon be tested in the prototypes including BIG single-cylinder 4-strokes (various brands such as VOR), as well as a 650 Suzuki(ish) V-Twin. They will probably only be available in Europe initially. Take those facts and run with them!
An interesting relative to the Sa*** quad (under construction)

And when is someone in the States gonna get a quad with a 700cc Zabel or 650 MTH motor? There are a couple in sidecars here, but no quads yet. Nobody interested in desert or MX racing with SERIOUS power???

Old 12-27-2003, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default New Hog ATV

Sidecars,
Is the Zabel 700 a better engine than the Maico 620 or 680??

We will probably see the big Maicos in a quad offered by ATK soon. They are already selling the bikes.

Where are you writing from??

Old 12-27-2003, 07:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default New Hog ATV

Originally posted by: Trx440
Sidecars,
Is the Zabel 700 a better engine than the Maico 620 or 680??
We will probably see the big Maicos in a quad offered by ATK soon. They are already selling the bikes.
Where are you writing from??
The Zabel 620 and 685 are nearly identical to the Maico. The Zabel was derived from the Maico ten years ago. The 700 Zabel is an enhanced version of the 685. The 700 Zabel is what is used by the current FIM Sidecar-Cross World Champion. Better? If the World Champs use it, there must be something there. I've ridden the 685, but not the 700. The MTH is a far more refined motor (derived from KTM).

If/when ATK comes out with the 685 quad, it will blow your mind!

SoCal.

Old 12-27-2003, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default New Hog ATV

Sidecars,

Are you a transplanted European living in SoCal?? How did you become sidecar crazy?

Where are some websites where I can get info on Zabel & MTH?

Is there a company called VLH or something close to that is in the sidecar / quad business?? Someone makes 4 stroke converted Banshees.

I had contacted Maico 2 years ago about the big engines. They said that things were in the works to bring those engines to the states for a quad application. They said the 620 would be better as it was a revver and the 680 was a lugger. Are these engines smoother than a CR 500? I have been on a 250R with a CR 500 engine and it vibrated alot. Are any of those 2 strokes counter-balanced?

Hope that's not to many Questions. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-27-2003, 08:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default New Hog ATV

[quote]
Originally posted by: Trx440
Sidecars,

Are you a transplanted European living in SoCal?? How did you become sidecar crazy?
Where are some websites where I can get info on Zabel & MTH?
Is there a company called VLH or something close to that is in the sidecar / quad business?? Someone makes 4 stroke converted Banshees.
I had contacted Maico 2 years ago about the big engines. They said that things were in the works to bring those engines to the states for a quad application. They said the 620 would be better as it was a revver and the 680 was a lugger. Are these engines smoother than a CR 500? I have been on a 250R with a CR 500 engine and it vibrated alot. Are any of those 2 strokes counter-balanced?[quote]

I'm not translpanted.
Dad made me do it.

Zabel: http://www.zabel-racing.de (crooks, go to ATK for a Maico instead)
MTH: http://www.mth-racing.at/ (honest folks, hope you speak German)
Everything about sidecar MX: http://www.SidecarCross.com/ (MY web site)
You will not find what you are looking for on ANY web site. You have to go to Europe and talk directly to the experts there, or be a pioneer and figure it out yourself.
If you want a Zabel, buy a Maico from ATK instead.

Never heard of VLH, but confusion is easy with these names.
Motocross Sidecar manufacturers: EML, BSU, VMC, AYR, Spa Tech, W-Tech, QuickSide (the first one and last two are big into quads)
Lots-o-links: http://www.SidecarCross.com/teams/

Lots of vibration in all the sidecar engines. The smaller, the better. I don't think any of them have counter-balancer.
My personal experience with my CR500 sidecar, and the 685 Zabel I raced years ago: Zabel vibrates more, and is a lot trickier to start even with compression release. I don't understand why these engines are good in sidecars, but vibrate "too much" in a quad. Are our arms bigger?

Old 12-27-2003, 09:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default New Hog ATV

Originally posted by: Sidecars
No, it's not a "death trap", except for those who haven't got a clue.
You got that right. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-27-2003, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider
Default New Hog ATV

Sorry guys,

I've been working 12 hour shifts for the past 6 days including christmas and I'm going a little nut. It is a cool looking machine. Can't say I would want to ride on it, but it would be fun to watch it run.

Old 12-28-2003, 12:51 PM
Trailblazer
Default New Hog ATV

Old 12-28-2003, 12:55 PM
Trailblazer
Default New Hog ATV

PIKES PEAK HILL CLIMB WITH A SIDECAR?.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] That is BADA$$!!!!
Any video clips?

Old 01-02-2004, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default New Hog ATV

PIkes peak w a hot rodded Porsche/HD V-rod engine w a turbo in a chromed out custom lager frame.TO lightnen the bike make the exausts go thru the frame w carbon fiber silencers an hiper rims.hahha Ive had too much chocolate today and forgot to take my prozac tooLOL.Years ago there was a rich guy that dirtwheels showcased,he was a rich brit an I believe his name was graham Lord or lord graham.He was always building fast 1 off quads for the mt.It be nice to see a quad break the 10 minute mark on pikes if it hasnt been done yet.Id even love to ride something crazy like that up the mt w the wind behind my back an the exhuasts howling shootin roost off the corners as I ride like amadman up the alighty mountain.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] then a few years ago a couple guys built Turbo EFI SHees that came close too but 1 blew up not too far into the ride an the other 1 had fuel mapping problems an wouldnt run right from the bottom to the top of the hill.what a shame for such mega buck machines.Well Its still nice to dream just dont get caught in class kids[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]