CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Week transmission

Old 01-23-2004, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider
THEBOM Racing. If it don't scare you a little, it's not going fast enough !!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Week transmission

On stock bikes if it is idling to slow, sometimes you can hear the timing chain slapping,even when riding.

Old 01-23-2004, 04:33 PM
Trailblazer

Text IT'S NOT IN THE TRANNY IT'S IN THE ENGINE AND YOUR DEALER WILL TELL YOU THAT IT'S NORMAL TO HEAR THAT NOISE, I BELEVIE IT'S SLACK IN THE CAM CHAIN OR SOMETHING,, BUT ONLY AT IDLE OR NEAR IDLE... HOPE I COULD BE OF SOME HELP ,, CHECK WITH YOUR DEALERS SERVICE MANAGER ABOUT A BULLETIN, I THINK THERE IS ONE,, NO FIX.

Old 01-23-2004, 04:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If its the tranny or sprokets or Carrier, you wil feel a definate JERKING. If thier is noise but no jerking than it could be the timing chain. If it just alot of noise than your chain is loose,or your axle carrier is loose,or axle bearings are out. Jack the rear tires up,and see if you can spin the rear axle freely,and check for play(both side to side,and back-n-forth).

Your DS is a 2000 and no matter how well you treat it, things are gonna wear out, so just check EVERYTHING,and if you havent done it yet , definatley check the oil screen in your oil tank before you cause serious damage to your engine.

Bigger.

Old 01-23-2004, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

My guess would be the chain is to tight or too loose. My bike did this at low rpm climbs in sand and tight u-turns.

Old 01-23-2004, 09:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Axle bearings did that to me

Old 01-23-2004, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like the axle bearings to me as well...

Old 01-23-2004, 09:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

He mentioned making a U turn, while spinning the wheels. Is there anything else that you guys can think of that would put more sideways stress on the axle bearings? I'd check your bearings, and then check everything else just for good measure. How many hours do you have on your DS? I've kept an hour log for my quads and I've got 48 on my 2003 Baja, and 110 on my 2001 normal DS.

Old 01-24-2004, 10:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

I would say about 100 hours. Quite not much for a 2000.

Old 01-24-2004, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider

I HAD a similar symptom on my DS. Mine was second gear and and it would pop in and out...or feel like it everytime i did a sharp turn (or U turn). Last weekend on the way to the hill to race at FSW it locked up. I'll be finding out perty soon what a tranny job costs. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I knew it was comming though. I just wised it had waited untill after the race[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 01-24-2004, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Eaglecollector
I HAD a similar symptom on my DS. Mine was second gear and and it would pop in and out...or feel like it everytime i did a sharp turn (or U turn). Last weekend on the way to the hill to race at FSW it locked up. I'll be finding out perty soon what a tranny job costs. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I knew it was comming though. I just wised it had waited untill after the race[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Eagle,

Usually its caused by the old style shifting forks. The get weak and the gears ride higher. They can cause the gear to slip and even damage the gear and leave broken pieces which can get lodged. The old sytle are bare metal color, the new ones are black - and they are much more durable.

Marky

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Week transmission