CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

place to get used sand tires? also question on HUB adaptors

Old 01-22-2004, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default place to get used sand tires? also question on HUB adaptors

ive been searchign around for a set of hauler (or edges) 8 paddles in a 22x10x10 or somthing similar to that

i would just buy them new, but they are 250+ mounted (on .190s) and i dont get to dune very often. (i can buy a set of GBC imitation haulers....called like sand devils or somthin for 150 mounted...but i have this feeling they will be heavy and fall apart...)

anyone know of a place besides ebay where i could look?

also, in my weekly searches of ebay, i see hundreds of sets of tires for the yamahas..... (some go for CHEAP too..) do they sell a hub conversion? (i dont want to buy new hubs just to put on different rear tires...wouldnt be cost effective..) but is there an adaptor plate or somthing that would allow me to use other wheels?)

any info is appreciated

Old 01-22-2004, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

I think I saw some thing about or hearing from some one that they can machine the DS650 rear hubs for honda or yamaha bolt pattern & keep the bomb bolt pattern. That way you have dual bolt pattern. Try a search on the forums on hubs. I did see a picture & they looked sweet.

Old 01-23-2004, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider

hmmm @ around 150 for the hubs, i think ill just keep looking for used tires! hehe

ahhh...the Hunt for tires continues.....

anyone have experience with the cheapy GBC sand shark/devil tires? (or any other cheap molded tire?) im thinking for the whole 2-4 times a year i will be able to hit sand, that may suffice....

Old 01-23-2004, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

If you don't go very often, you may want to consider buying good paddles to make the most out of your time down there. If you are going to LS you might try jim's sand toys.

Justin

Old 01-23-2004, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

Oh, by the way, I got my "cheap" sand stars on douglas rims at jim's for 170. I am happy with them, but they are only 20's and I will have a set of haulers when I go again in March.

Justin

Old 01-24-2004, 01:57 AM
Pro Rider

I had a set of sand devils. they were not much more than my stock tires. constantly stuck if I did not park on a down hill. spin like crazy and not go any where. those issues are a thing of the past. now that I have haulers and extremes. I will never go back. I feel sorry for the guy that bought them from me. o'well, I tryed to tell him. he just could'nt resist $40 for tires.

Old 01-24-2004, 02:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

ROOST,

Look on eBay for the Skat Traks you want, find a set of excellent rubber for a good price. Don't worry about the rims at all. Buy the tires & rims if you must, get them unmounted (Wal-Mart will do it for about $3/tire.) Now you have a good set of paddle tires and a pair of rims to sell. Next, buy a set of rims to fit your tires, get them mounted and you are done. That is the cheapest way to do it if you have the time. From what I've seen, most people sell paddle tires only if they didn't like the way they worked on their ATV. Thus you wont find 'good' dune tires for your DS on ebay (not as a tire/rim combo.) However, the tires you'll want for your DS will often be too much tire for smaller ATVs making them a very cheap and viable option for you. If you play your cards right you could come out with excellent sand tires for dirt cheap! (Go with 22" tall tires is my suggestion!)

Old 01-24-2004, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider

i never considered that, because the last time i had someone mount tires (my local tire shop couldnt mount them with there bead breaker...) so i had to go to my dealership where i got a "deal" at 30 for both.... (they said they usually charge 25 per tire...!)

so walmart does them? didnt know they had the ability to do that.... although it makes sense... (they DO carry atv /lawn mower tires...)

Ill have to start keeping my eyes out for some haulers from a shee or a raptor or somthin

also Blackhawk: i saw in your sig you had MR.HP port both of your ds' how much power did you gain? (if you dyno'd em) that and how much was it?

im still looking for a few more HP over pipe/filter/jetted/cdi.... (i was thinking maybe ported intake....)

Thanks guys

Old 01-24-2004, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider

I run Sand Devils. They are an awsome padldle tire for hook-up and durability. Howerver they only come in two sizes and a 20" tire will sink to much, because the DS is heavy. Get a 21 or 22" of another brand...

Old 01-24-2004, 03:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

ROOST,

After having rode using the intakes for two weekends; one weekend on each ATV I can say that I'm very happy with the porting. Eric has some dyno sheets where it is worth 4 HP. To get max HP from it, you'll want to try and setup your jetting to the specs that Mr. HP recomends as well. The porting on it's own is a good deal for the money, however it isn't going to be a night and day difference. It's enough horsepower you'll feel it, it makes the bike a little zippyer and the front end is more willing to come up. It's also a very good stepping stone in the process of getting a bigger carburetor, like the 46HV. Now the 46HV - THAT is some fricken' POWER!

I paid $150/each for the porting on my DSs. Perhaps you could get a volume discount if you can find a few friends and send off your intakes all at once.

PS: After I rode a bike with the 46HV, I'm going to be getting one, in the distant future, I'd do it now if I had an extra $550 laying around.

ROOST, before you count on Wal-Mart for tire mounting - go in and talk to the guys make sure they aren't dead heads. Or some Wal-Marts around here even sell ATV tires but don't have the equipment to change them! (Mostly in the very city-like areas.)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: place to get used sand tires? also question on HUB adaptors