CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Not having reverse SUCKS

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not having reverse SUCKS

Use hills to run up and coast back down backwards to turn. Always works for me, I rarely have to get off.

Old 01-25-2004, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

lol u should try gettin stuck in a ditch thats filled wit snow, n try pushin a ds out, now thats a pain in the a$$, usually after that i just hafta cruise down the rode to catch my breathe, now thats a workout, i dont' really mind not havin reverse now, but it would be nice for ridin in the snow

Old 01-26-2004, 01:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Soem european company actually made a reverse kit for this engine, however I think it was said to be very expensive, and added a lot of weight. I've never come into any situation where I absolutly needed reverse, though if I had it I'd probably use it all the time.

Old 01-26-2004, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

Don't get me wrong.I love my DS.She's just one heavy b!t(#. I live in South Florida.It goes better than you'd think it should through the woods.But yesterday, I got into some cypress and it got real tight, real fast.My Recon became top dog for a little bit.We got deep in some muddy ditch-like area that was completely covered in pine needles.I got the DS stuck and the Recon was able to pull me out a few times.It was a great ride all together.There were no trails.The DS led the way.In tight areas,I had to use the weight to push trees over.The Recon right behind me.But when it got so tight and the trees were too big to go over, I had no choice but to turn around.I am 145 lbs soaking wet.I will post some pictures soon if you want. Not of me but of these woods.Great place to camp.
I guess I shouldn't complain.I just wanted to hear what you guys thought.It sounds like I wouldn't want the reverse thingy that they made.More weight.
Thanks for the input.
I am also jealous about the dune riding.Damned developers built over all of them here.I would love to take a serious road trip to the dunes you all ride.

Old 01-26-2004, 08:50 PM
Trailblazer

Look at my DS on my pics page I have cut my fenders...how might you ask that gives me reverse? I stand on a back tire and walk it backwards it works really well but it takes some practice [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-26-2004, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BigBad,

I know I couldn't take the DS through that mud pit like you did with your Scrambler.

Old 01-26-2004, 09:24 PM
Elite Pro Rider

TheOz,

My riding buddy feels the same way. LOL In fact, he is the one taking the picture. I dont know if he is just scared to get stuck, or doesn't want to clean the DS afterwards[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] He tried following me through one of them one time. Needless to say, he didnt make it very far. But they may also have to do with the fact that there isnt much meat left on his stock Dominators. He actually prefers to take is Trailblazer when we ride the tight stuff.

Old 01-26-2004, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

ok i have the answer to all you'r problems!!! and it's all free[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] take you'r front fenders off and from the seat you can push backwards on the front tires and instant back-up!! works good for me if you don't mind catching all the mud off the the exposed tires? if not well you bought the wrong machine sorry[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 01-28-2004, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: lilnotts
lol u should try gettin stuck in a ditch thats filled wit snow, n try pushin a ds out, now thats a pain in the a$$, usually after that i just hafta cruise down the rode to catch my breathe, now thats a workout, i dont' really mind not havin reverse now, but it would be nice for ridin in the snow

getting the DS stuck in the snow is the worst! I usually take a smaller quad out when riding in the snow.

Old 01-28-2004, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider

I know mud and snow can be a problem if you do get stuck on a DS. If youre riding by yourself you gotta use your head and think to make sure you can get thru what you trying to get thru. If you get stuck, its your fault and not the quads. Personally, a problem bigger then reverse is how low the swingarm is to the ground. Trying getting stuck in some mud and say it did have reverse, its not going to be that easy to get out either way. If youre going to be riding in mud and snow, get some 22 inchers for the back and some 23's for the front. Reverse isnt and issue with me, i stay clear of mud and only go through snow that i know i can and the trails up here are wide. Loading/Unloading i dont see that being an issue. Drive up the ramps in first, then pull it off when needed and let it coast down. Im 155lbs/6ft 1" and never cared about having reverse. If i gotta get my DS out of my garage, i give it a push and its half way down my driveway. I know alot of you dont think like me, but i think reverse is over-rated of a sport quad.

EDIT: I just thought of something, I can lift the rear end off the ground pretty high but know i could lift it higher if the grab bar was lower. For you guys that ride in snow and mud should make a grab bar thats lower and put it on when your going mudding or whatever. It would make it a hell of alot easier to lift dont ya think?

Quick Reply: Not having reverse SUCKS