CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

billet end caps or hmf exhast

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 06:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default billet end caps or hmf exhast

pushin, I hope it works out for you, yah it's little loud! Thats what I used before I got the billet end cap!

Old 01-27-2004, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider

I've been studying the HMF dyno graph. Their stock bike is down 2 - 4hp from what I'm used to seeing? But assuming it was the same bike on the same day, then the HMF should have been equally down on Horsepower and we can plug in the corrected numbers for the difference.

After graphing the corrected numbers verses my stock bike with Mr Hp endcap (raced in Aledo), the HMF is up 4 to 5 hp between 3000-3500rpm only over the billet endcap. They are equal from 4000-5000rpm, then the Billet endcap takes over from 5500 and up by an average +2 hp.
So the HMF shines from 3000-5000rpm, while the Billet Endcap shines from 4000-7500rpm. But both are shining compared to the stock endcap! $210 HMF vs $100 MrHp for the same mid range and less top end power, but more off idle power. Both look good...the HMF probably weighs less than the stock canister?

Hey Jeff, send me the HMF ASAP and I'll get a real world dyno this Saturday to back up their graph. It looks good and is cheap enough for a slip on. Does the anodized cost more?

Old 01-27-2004, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

If you ever get a chance to dyno the HMF slipon.
Do two tests.
One with endcap installed and a second with endcap removed.
I asked HMF if they ever did a dyno test with endcap removed and they never did.
Their first design did not allow the endcap to be removed. I do not think they made any new dyno runs when they changed the endcap design.

Old 01-28-2004, 12:57 AM
Pro Rider
THEBOM Racing. If it don't scare you a little, it's not going fast enough !!!

I'll call you tomorrow. HMF on the way! When is the next dyno session? I might have to slip off. LOL

J Ross

Old 01-28-2004, 02:16 PM
Trailblazer

Blackhawk

"I thought the HMF was NON Spark Arrested?

One of the things I like best about the end cap is that If I need to be quiet and spark arrested, it only takes three minutes to do the change over to the stock end cap! I can't make my E-Series quiet... Nor can you make an HMF quiet if needed."

The HMF comes with the spark arrestor for free. The quiet core costs extra. The reason I don't like putting the stock end cap back in, is that it sucks sooo much power. It's just like having a potato stuck in there. You would also have to re-jet since there is such a big difference in the air-flow. So I don't really buy the three minute thing.

Old 01-28-2004, 02:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Gashog,

That is a good point, however with the carburetor setup correctly you'ed be able to do it in 10-15 minutes. (The reason I assumed the HMF was non-spark arrested was because most pipes are not, and when I saw the HMF pipe in person, it wasn't spark arrested - obviosly removed.) Do you have the quiet core for the HMF? How quiet does it get - I assume it's still louder than stock or is it pretty close? (I've never heard of a quiet core that worked as well as it should.) The only HMF I've seen in person was on The Punisher's ATV it looked quite nice - the only thing that sucked is when the pipe's mid mount broke tearing a hole in the pipe. He sold the pipe to Vegas650 & I'm sure he got it welded, looks like it's been good ever since. Did you secure your pipe to the mid mount? You might take a look at it and make sure it's not in any sort of bind - though it could have just been that one particular pipe.

Old 01-28-2004, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider

I have the Mr HP end cap with the Target strainer spark arrestor[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]. I am very happy with the power increase and sound. ( don't ask my neighbors)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I am using the money I saved to get the lechtron 46hv and porting.

Old 01-28-2004, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

Cammer: get the porting done first, it really wakes the quad up!! My quad is ten times more fun to ride now!!

Old 01-28-2004, 04:35 PM
Trailblazer

BlackHawk,
I do have the quiet core. The quiet core reduces the noise (and power) quite a bit. Although it is still louder than stock. I haven't had any problems yet. I'll knock on wood. I have four friends with HMF pipes and they all love them. Also, the HMF people seem to be very good to work with. One has duals on his VForce 700 and lost his spark arrestors when he left them out for drag racing, and HMF sent two more immediately and free of charge.

Old 01-28-2004, 11:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Gashog,

That sounds like excellent customer service! I know that people have owned other pipes that cost much more (Yoshi) and they got a good pipe but horrible customer service (or, I think what they got was none, which I think this probably better than bad customer service!)

One part of the HMFs I've always liked is the ability to choose color, they still do that right, give it to you in whatever color you want? It might be a pretty sweet deal if it could be bought in a polished form!

I think for the money, the HMF -is- the best deal on a pipe. They're $209 now, they used to be $189 however that is still a lot cheaper than my $289 E-Series. Right now I'm happy with my E-Series, however I'm kinda thinking of tossing it (eBay) since it is leaving a black mark on my grab bar.