CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

How to carry 2 ATV's and still tow a trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 12:13 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to carry 2 ATV's and still tow a trailer?

Thank you everyone for your reply's. The ATV caddy or a similar system is what I was looking for. They look very easy to build (If you have the tools) but time is always a consideration. If anyone knows a place that sells them in the San Francisco bay area let me know as I would love to go buy one or atleast steal any good ideas.

Thanks again!

Old 02-05-2004, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: busmechanic
I stand corrected. even though its the same. paint $50. allready have a welder,saw,torch. why would you need a torch anyway? . and aparently pismo has one, or access to one. if you want it powder coated. it would still be hundreds less than what you paid.sorry about that. I sold the one I made for $700.it was even painted.it was a total cost of $350.00 the steel was around $250.00. the ultimate rack price for short bed is $1169 so I geuss you did not save any there either. sorry about that.
You bring up a good point busmechanic. You can certainly save some money building one of these yourself. But you are a bus mechanic, so mechanical projects like this are easier for you. I'm a sex therapist, and I would have a hard time deciding which end of the welder to put the KY jelly on. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 02-05-2004, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: OuterLimit
Originally posted by: busmechanic
I stand corrected. even though its the same. paint $50. allready have a welder,saw,torch. why would you need a torch anyway? . and aparently pismo has one, or access to one. if you want it powder coated. it would still be hundreds less than what you paid.sorry about that. I sold the one I made for $700.it was even painted.it was a total cost of $350.00 the steel was around $250.00. the ultimate rack price for short bed is $1169 so I geuss you did not save any there either. sorry about that.
You bring up a good point busmechanic. You can certainly save some money building one of these yourself. But you are a bus mechanic, so mechanical projects like this are easier for you. I'm a sex therapist, and I would have a hard time deciding which end of the welder to put the KY jelly on. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
I am not sure how to take that. I smiled. then I started thinking about it.
I am a bus mechanic. I worked on busses in salt lake city last september. so take the train. if you go up there.

p.s. I get my therapy every time I see that bouncing pic above your sig.

Old 02-06-2004, 01:27 AM
Trailblazer

put one on top of your tent trailer we hauled one one 2 different tent trailers over 1600 miles and didnt cause any problems at all and they where 4x4 kodiak's you could even place a piece of plywood on the roof to distribute the weight better if you where concerned granted they where not brand new tent trailers but it didnt seem to hurt the roof in the least bit
just my .02 worth ?

Old 02-06-2004, 10:47 AM
Trailblazer

Unfortunatley or fortunatley I leave my tent trailer in a town near Pismo meaning I need to have them both in the bed for the trip down. It makes the drive very easy as I just stop and conect to the trailer and 30mins later I'm on the beach looking for a place to camp! I'm considering the ATV Caddy but might do a dry run of standing the 250EX up and see if I can't modify an extended hitch to add another few feet to the bed to allow the bomb to sit on all 4's but thank you for the idea as my tent trailer is no beauty queen and I would have placed the 250EX on top of it in a second.

Old 02-08-2004, 01:06 AM
Trailblazer

I built a side by side quad carrier for my short bed Chevy Pickup using angle iron and diamond plate. Took me about 4 hours to weld adn bolt it together and weighs about 250. the cost was 389.00 for materials. I measured my quads and built the thing to match. It works great and I am able to tow my 26' trailer with no problems. Lots of room underneath for ramps and coolers and such. It took a couple of rattle cans of enamel paint to cover the steel. I day project and I was on my way. The effort building it was well worth the 900.00 I saved. Looks like Trailbazers photo.

Good luck

Old 02-08-2004, 03:39 AM
Quad Patrol

Pismo, I live in the central valley, I have a side by side rack that I built to haul my two quads in the back of my truck. I'll try to post a picture of it. If your interested "PM" me. Dan

Old 02-08-2004, 09:00 AM
Trailblazer

I'm sorry I can't help you right now. In 3wks however I should? Thats when I get my search for my paten done, then I'm pertected by law against copy cats. I will be giving my phone # as well as picks on this form and others as well , so you can see it for yourself. By spring I hope to be either producing, or having them produced, depending on the search. One way or another I will let all know. Wish me luck! Happy trails!

Old 02-09-2004, 11:12 AM
Trailblazer

Rescuediver,
Thanks for the offer and I look forward to the pics. Babycakes, send me some info once you get your patent. I'm curious to see how different your idea is to what is already out there.

Old 02-09-2004, 06:47 PM
Trailblazer

Will do! I know theres others out there, whether mine is different enough??? One thing I do feel confedent about, its one of the best designs! I will also be patenting one for short beds at the same time. Everything will be in the patent lawyers hands mon. morn! They told me it will take about 2wks. I've been using mine for 2 years, and everyone that has commented on it, said I should get it patented. Time and money will tell. Thanks for the interest! I'll let you know as soon as I get word! I know that you have already bought a system, but I would appreciate your comments on it. Happy trails!

Quick Reply: How to carry 2 ATV's and still tow a trailer?