CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Nice ride yesterday, bad trip home

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nice ride yesterday, bad trip home

Hightower, me and some other guys went to the Badlands yesterday for a winter snow ride. It was awesome fun riding the snow covered hills and trails. It was a great day for a winter ride; everything was going great until the trip home. About 45 minutes from my house I swerved off the road to avoid a guy that pulled out in front of me. The road appeared to have a nice big shoulder so I thought nothing of pulling off the road a bit. The road had no shoulder, it was just the way the road was plowed, (6 feet off the road), and the color of the dirty salty snow was the same color as the road! I pulled my van back on the road, but the trailer kept sliding. The trailer smashed into a phone pole, the trailer tire hit the pole, ripped the fender off, ripped the axle off, damaged a couple of panels, some marker lights, trim and ect. After waiting an hour or more for a tow truck, they lifted the trailer up, we chained and strapped the axle back on to take it to the tow trucks guys shop, the tire still held air but the rim is bent really bad, could only go 5 mph. They are welding up the axle for me so I can at least get it home. It has a torsion axle, and where the swing arm is, is bent. I got to find a rim today also. So far it looks like I will need a new axle, rim, fender, some marker lights, some new panels, and some trim. I hope that is all; I will look at it better when I get it home... On the bright side, it looks like the quad stayed strapped down in the trailer, and no damage to the DS.

Old 02-05-2004, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad everyone's ok! Sorry about your trailer![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 02-05-2004, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider

Shewwww, I thought for a minute that you had pulled a "SCOOBY".

Old 02-06-2004, 12:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The most important thing is the DS is ok[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-06-2004, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

The scary part is I had to leave the DS in the trailer, no way to get it home. Since it was just a day trip and had nothing else in the trailer, I didn't bring a lock. It was 6:00 in the evening, I asked the guy at the shop if he had a lock I could borrow, he said no, I asked where I could get one, he said everything in town is closed for the day [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] ..Since this is a very small town, besides being the guy with the tow truck, he was the body shop, and the impound yard for the cops, so he assured it would be safe.

Old 02-06-2004, 02:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

...that last post was a serious small town story! You wont hear anything remotely like that around here! Glad to hear you & your machine is OK - I was also thinking you mighta "pulled a Scooby." I'm not sure how fond of that saying Dave will be though, however to truly 'pull a scooby' you've also got to be able to re-assemble your ATV better than ever!

Old 02-06-2004, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider

Good thing everyone is ok.

Old 02-06-2004, 12:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

close call Wayne!
On the lighter side, the riding was a blast. I got to take the BigWaymester's 760 for another ride and it sure is a pleasure! Talk about torque man, its amazing!

Old 02-07-2004, 12:27 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BlackHawk
...that last post was a serious small town story! You wont hear anything remotely like that around here!

The guy that owns the body shop /tow truck wasn't there when I went to pick up my trailer today, he is also the county commisioner, so he was at the court house, his son was there, he had to call his Dad to see how much to charge me, it was $150.00 to weld my bent axle on just so I can get it home [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] then I handed him my credit card, he acted like he never seen one before, he had to call his sister and ask how to use the credit card machine.. Oh yes the joys of small towns...

any way the trailer is home now, tomorrow I will check out all the damage..

Old 02-07-2004, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry to hear about your bad trip. At least the first part was good..the riding. I am all too familiar with bad trailer luck..lol...... eh Gasser?

Quick Reply: Nice ride yesterday, bad trip home