CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Broken Shift Fork in the tranny

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Shift Fork in the tranny

No problem Jim. I have taken pictures throught the entire process. I plan to put words to those pic as well and put them up so everyone can use them. I have a shop manual and a oem parts disk. That's all I have. I did have to buy one special tool to pull the magneto. That sucker was really on there to. It was only 27 bucks so no biggy there. My biggest contributor was my brother. He kept telling me "it's no big deal you can do it. Just pay attention and BAG and TAG" So far so good and to tell ya the truth. He was right. Imagin that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I will say that mike is correct when he says I ride the crap out of this thing. Not oly does this DS have eqal time upside down as it does on it's wheels. But I also rode it for nearly a year with bad shift forks. It would pop in and out of second gear once in a while. It progressivly got worse and utimatly locked up. It was my risk to take. I got lucky and only needed to replace the shift forks and one gear. It could have been much worse. But I love to ride my DS and I love to ride it ***** to the walls. So I didn't want to be without it until I had no choice.
I'll throw some alky in the 400ex for pres day at Dumont and look at the tail light of most for that weekend. But rest assured i'll be ridding ***** to the walls again in no time[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-08-2004, 01:14 PM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 02-08-2004, 01:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

My 2000 DS would slip out of 2nd on a hard climb up a dune face. It was a bent fork.

Old 02-08-2004, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

I have had my share of tranny problems....only because I am real hard on them..hehehe

Eagle,
Look real close at the 2nd gear engagement dogs,they might be worn....
They should have a clean 45 degree chamfer,not shiny and rounded
If they are rounded they can be undercut and cleaned up by a could tranny shop.
This is cheaper then buying new gears

Jeff

Old 02-08-2004, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know if the one im replacing is second gear or not. But the dogs are real worn on the one Im replacing. You tell me if this is second gear or not. All the gears
Here is a close up of the damage Ouch

Old 02-09-2004, 04:14 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Larry, make sure that you use Red Loctite when you put that Magneto nut back on and torque it back down exactly to spec or you will be Hating life!!!! You have to put it on the shaft also. Jeff can find out exactly what you need to know. Hey Jeff are you going to be out for P-Day weekend with us??? I have to take you for a cruise in the RHINOCERASS!!!! Yee Haw!!!!!! You should have seen the air I was catching in that today.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-09-2004, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider

That looks a bit nasty....
That looks like 3rd gear on the primary shaft

Look at it this way.....
On the primary shaft...the smallest gear would be 1st,the 2nd smallest gear would 2nd,and so on,the largest would be 5th.This would be just the opposite on the secondary shaft(the one that holds the sprocket)The largest gear would be 1st gear and so on....Make sense?

On the secondary shaft in the background.....1st pic
Check the engagment slots on the 1st gear on the left(really 2nd gear),then check the dogs on the 2nd gear from the left(really 5th gear) these 2 gears seem to have the most problems with the engagement dogs

Old 02-09-2004, 02:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I had this problem last year at FSW2 with my quad jumping out of second. YES it was a bent shifting fork,and I replaced all of mine with the new and improved ones. Jeff also suggested that I look at my shiftingdoggs on the gears and they were rounded off alittle. Not wanting to split the cases agian in the future, I took his advice. I sent them to a place that he suggested(MRE) and they "back cut" my 1st,2nd,and 3rd gears so that they would PULL TOGETHER rather than try and pull apart under heavy stress from drag racing/hill climbing. Its been a year now ,and my tranny is as strong as ever, And I feel totally confident when slamming through the gears.

Thanks Jeff!!

Bigger.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-09-2004, 03:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ditto that Bigger! Didn't undercut the first time I tore into it but, when I was putting together the 760 I did the undercut. I spoke to the guys that do the work and they said shift without the clutch - just let off the throttle and shift. I don't like the idea of doing that but, I have done it a few times since and the undercutting sucks it right into gear. Only down side is sometimes it is tough to get it into neutral. I am more worried about my Wife's tranny on her '03 Raptor than I am about the tranny on the DS and as stated above, the way I ride it is much harder than she rides hers.

Old 02-09-2004, 06:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I agree that is is TUFF to find neutral , But it feels to be getting better now that I have around 50 hours on the tranny.

bigger.

Quick Reply: Broken Shift Fork in the tranny