CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS650 Rearend won't stay straight on takeoff and stopping

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2000, 12:42 AM
Ang
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scooby- There is a way to try to equalize tire circumference overinflate both tires to an equall pressure ( about 15 PSI) set in sun for about 4 hours measure with a thin tape around the tires deflate the largest tire to max operating pres. remeasure and deflate the smaller tire to the same size check pressures at equall size they should both be in operating pressure range, you can tweek from there and tire growth should be more constant.

Old 07-05-2000, 09:06 AM
Pro Rider

I've never noticed my DS to kick out one way or another under heavy acceleration. I understand where your coming from Ang, with posi traction the rear end is usual more squirly than without. Having a car with posi, I’ve noticed it, but never really knew exactly why nor took the time to research it.

I'm guessing on a race car it's due to inconsistencies with the tires. Tires are like fingerprints, no two are alike. This is probably worsened on harder surfaces as well, dirt probably absorbs some of the effect on a quad.

I really liked the idea of switching tires (from side to side) to see if the problem reverses itself.

I'd also agree with the tire stretch theory, but again switch em, then it'll tell ya off the bat, if it's a tire issue.

Old 07-05-2000, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider

On a drag car with a spool, the car's resistence to move forward will translate to the car rotating around the driveline, or, more correctly, the drive train twisting inside of its mounts. This causes one rear tire to get loaded, and other unloaded. The loaded tire will get more traction and the car is hard to handle. This is corrected with weight placement and proper adjustment of rear suspension. On a posi street car, when you break traction, both tires spin and rear end slides to one side(drive train loading one tire again). With an open diff, you break traction with only one tire, the other tire does not spin and "anchors" the car. This is not the problem with the ATV(I think) as the drive train rotates in the direction of travel. To illustrate my point, lock front brake and try to pull away. The rear end lifts. This doesn't solve your problem but maybe it will help you go in a different direction while diagnosing. As race car design can fill volumes, this is just basic information and I am a basic kind of guy. Sorry for taking so much space.

Old 07-05-2000, 01:26 PM
Trailblazer
Old 07-05-2000, 01:28 PM
Trailblazer

Loofer, the chain is on the right side on the DS.

Old 07-06-2000, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe, since the torque is applied to the right side of the axle, it is pulling it towards the engine and is causing a slight miss-alignment of the axle. It could be a little bit of flex in the bearing carrier, trailing arm, pivots or bearings themselves, so the wheelbase gets shorter on the right side and longer on the left side, causing you to pull or "crab" to the left.

I haven't noticed this myself, though I have only gotten about 3-5' of air and traveled about 20-30' feet.

I know from experience that a motorcycle will skid towards the side that has a brake on a single disk system. It's a centrifugal force type of thing.

Laters,
CRT_Leech

Old 07-06-2000, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

Excellent explanation!

Old 07-06-2000, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider

I'm glad it was interesting to you, I hope it helps out.

Old 07-06-2000, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider

Did you check the axle splines and the axle hub splines. If you some how worn them down and the hub is slipping on the shaft you will get that pulling. It maybe not so bad that it does it all the time but when you have weight and power on the rear it might be enough to spin the axle in the hub.

Old 07-06-2000, 11:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'll check this stuff out on the DS this weekend. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: DS650 Rearend won't stay straight on takeoff and stopping