CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS bolt patern ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS bolt patern ?

What type of bolt pattern does the ds use, will my honda pattern rims fit a ds ??

Old 02-21-2004, 09:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default DS bolt patern ?

The Honda bolt pattern will not fit, however you can get your hubs machined to be lighter, and at the same time add either the Honda or Yamaha bolt pattern to them so you could run the DS pattern or others. That would be your best bet.

Old 02-21-2004, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default DS bolt patern ?

Thanks

I recently ordered a set of sand stars from rocky mountain on honda rims as i intended to replace my 250r with the 450r but it looks like i will go with a DS. As far as i know they havent been shiped yet as they were out of stock so i wil ask them to hold off on the order until i get my life sorted out[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Do the ds hubs benifit from being lightend as i can do the machining at work if it only requires a lathe and is it worth the weight saving??

Old 02-21-2004, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DS bolt patern ?

Check out www.mrhorsepower.net you can get your hubs sent to him and he will machine them to fit and make them lighter. Take a look. He has also got some cool parts and some more horsepower gain parts.

Old 02-21-2004, 09:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default DS bolt patern ?

I couldn't tell you what it takes - Mr Horsepower is the one who does the work on them. He charges $150 - I assume that is to send him yours then he'll send them back lightened and set for a new bolt pattern.

http://www.hpresearch.net/

Take a look at his website, he has a picture of the lightened rear hubs.

There is definatley benefit of lightening the rear hubs, recently I've been considering getting mine lightened, though I think it'll be a serious pain to get them off, or I could be wrong.

Old 02-21-2004, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default DS bolt patern ?

I e mailed rocky mountain to hold my order

I was going with 20x11x10 Sand stars, As i am more concerned with turning and agility than traction as there are a lot of tight sand trails at the dunes i ride at so i need to slide the back easily.

Would these still suit a DS or do i need to re think

PS thanks for the mr hp link looks usfull

Old 02-21-2004, 10:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default DS bolt patern ?

Sand Skate IIs are an excellent play tire, as long as you aren't planning on races or anything. The DS needs a tire that measures 20" at the carcass, no matter what the tire measurements say. Sand Skate IIS are a true 20" tire, or you need a 22" Skat Trak. There are many other tires available as well, depending on what you plan to do.

Old 02-21-2004, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default DS bolt patern ?

I run "The Edge" Skat Trak tire on my Baja X. It is a durable tire and slides great. My big HP friends tried to talk me into a Hauler, but I like to slide and the hauler didnt do as well as I would like for the riding that I do. The fronts you will definitely want the 22" I run 20" on the rear on a 10" rim.

Going to the 8" honda bolt pattern would appeal to me if I rode in rougher sand, as my rear tire is pretty low profile and more subject to being bent. I havent decided on a front sand tire yet. Considering the Sand Star front tire, but it is heavier than the other brands. I just want turnability.

You are looking at the right ride. The DS is a phenominal machine and the 2004s are Great! Enjoy.

Old 02-21-2004, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default DS bolt patern ?

And going to the sand star rear, it is a "Molded" tire. I dont like that style as I see that they are more subject to "Chunking" than the Hauler or the Edge. These tires are buffed down from a heavy ply utility tire to lighten them ( take the tread off) and then the belts or paddles are glued on. I only noticed wear when I rode at Sand Mountain because the sand is so course. I have a whole season on my skat traks and they are definitely good for at least one more.

IMO, Im sure you will be regretting it if you purchase the sand star rear tires. You need more hook up on the DS. They are fine for the KFX and smaller bikes, but wont work well on the DS. I think the front tire is a good choice if you want turnability in the sand as it has two rails for side bite and sidehilling.

Old 02-22-2004, 07:58 AM
Pro Rider
Default DS bolt patern ?

DSX Bear

Do you drag race or race up big dunes. the area i ride at is a beach that has dunes but most of them arent that tall some are 150 foot but are realy steep and have a lot of grass cover on the steep side so we run up them in tracks and a lot of our other riding is follow the leader if u can keep up sort of stuff. and its on real twisty tracks through the dunes .

we have some bowls ect but there aint much in the way of big long dunes to race up like you guys have in the US so max hook up isnt that big a deal most climbs can be done with stock tires albeit slowly.

so what do you think sand stars no good for me on a DS if so what do you suggest

thanks[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]