CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Intake Tube Update

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 03:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake Tube Update

Well, Mario and I went to the Dyno and came away with some information. Problem is that the Dyno Session was a last minute go-to and we weren't very prepared. At least, I wasn't. I forgot the stupid tube (which was the main reason I was going![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] ). We did come away with some knowledge and some opinions. While another dyno session will happen on Wednesday for me (yes, the tube will be dyno'd and tested) here is my opinions on what we did.

We tested the following:

TM 48 vs Lectron 48 on Mario's monster
TM 45 w/direct mnt K&N vs. Stock tube with K&N

my thoughts....

Lectron VS. TM - I believe that for those looking for a few extra ponies at any cost, the Lectron is probably the way to go. As far as the better than TM goes.... well I'm not convinced. I feel that the Lectron is supposed to be "out of the box" ready to go - it wasn't. That said, Mario and Mr. HP felt it would be fat on the top, and that it needed to be tuned to his bike. One of the reasons that it cost so much is that it is the SPECIAL Mr. HP addition carb for quads. Either way, it's something that the two of them will have to work out. While the TM is more particular, properly set up, it should yeild as much HP as the Lectron, especially when comparing like intake diameters. Example, the TM 48 and the Lectron 48. Given the same diameter of carb and given that both are dialed in and functioning properly, one should yeild NO MORE than the other. Mathmatically, it is impossible for one to flow more air thus draw more fuel. The only improvement that can be seen is if one is less sensitive to climate variations and/or air density issues. That alone is worth quite abit, but not almost twice as much more than the TM. For those that don't want to mess with or adjust anything, then the Lectron is for you (after it is initially set up - no getting around it in my opinion) If we all lived in the same city, and rode the exact same bike, then maybe a one-size-fit-all approach would work.

Air Tube - There is DEFINITE advantages to using some sort of a tube. This was tested on my bike and we saw almost a 4hp increase dang near right off the idle circuit - very impressive! The stock tube w/K&N yeilded more HP and TRQ until something dramatic happened in the combustion cycle. It took a steady decrease and then a 2.5 hp dip. Why that dip happened is unknown, but seems have been caused by one of two things, either the tub squashed and we were using a clamp, or there was not enough fuel after a given point. In other words, fuel to Air ratio changed. More air was being drawn and the carb leaned out, until the air draw reduced. Obviously the trick would be to add the fuel and create a tube that would NOT collapse. I am still kicking myself for forgetting the tube. That was the point of me being there.

Many of you will ask for numbers on HP and Torque...... Mario doesn't really want to post numbers, and quite frankly, it doesn't really matter. 10 hp differences from Dyno to Dyno are abundant. I have NO problems giving my numbers so here they are.

Stock Bike out of the box - two weeks old and about 11 hours on it. (I have a Friday bike and it made more than most)
32.6 HP

W/RWR CDI, Big Gun pipe/header, direct mount K&N on the TM45 - After dyno tuning
37.9 HP

Stage 2 - Web Cams 110 intake cam and stock exhaust cam, RWR 11.5:1 piston - No dyno tuning on carb, just a jet change (dyno tuning session to come on Wednesday of this week.
43.5 HP (DIRECT MNT. K&N)

Hoping to get about 1 - 3more ponies this Wednesday - Skip is one tuning fool! I will also be having my head ported and matched.

I will make sure and post the newest numbers on Thursday if not sooner.

Hightower, no. I did not make my tube decrease from filter to carb like the stock carb. I simply used a strait piece and used a bender to make it just right. Look VERY sweet, but if the numbers aren't there, it means nothing. It is extremely important to me to make things VERY clean. Mario would probably attest to that fact. I keep my bike immaculant. Blame it on the Boat Racing days. You'll never see a dirty Drag Boat!

Keep you guys posted!

BigDaddy

Pipe and

Old 02-24-2004, 04:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider

thanks for the update, did mario try the air tube?

Old 02-24-2004, 04:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

Hey, what the heck, I will post numbers!!

The dyno here in vegas is NOT generous... I think we had 80%humidity

I cannot wait to get this lectron dialed in, and I think it will do substantially better than it did (considering I knew it was too rich on needle)..

A GREAT running stage 2 gets 43.5 hp on this dyno..

I put out 60.9 hp on this dyno...62.3 hp last time I dynoed here.

The lectron was knowingly WAAAY too rich on top end, it bogged when reved high, But it still put out 6-7 more ftlb torque than the TM48..And was only about 3 ponies off of TM 48 at peak, It dropped off on the dyno (of course at the top end) We will fix Lectron and re-dyno.

I am looking for consistancy out of the whole carb deal, and I plan on running much higher HP#s with lectron+ Drag pipe..I will Dyno this combo and let yall know the results.

Old 02-24-2004, 04:35 PM
Elite Pro Rider

mario did you ever try the dual carbs? and did you try the tube on your carb. started the new plumbing last night, have a pretty good mount on the bottle, and the shark nozzle hid pretty well, think i'll paint the stainless lines black and all should be good[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] has made all the weight loss a little sad to add it all back on.

Old 02-24-2004, 05:05 PM
Pro Rider

I would like to add that meeting Mario was a pleasure and as an added bonus, I got to meet Tony the Punisher as well. Both were extremely nice and like me, interested in making DS's more powerful for the rest of the community. I'm sure that Mario and I will be doing MUCH more testing and tuning, and look forward to the comming weeks.

I actually took some pavement passes on Mario's bike...... kind of gets your attention [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 02-24-2004, 06:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

Mike, It also was a pleasure meeting you... Nice to find good people in Vegas... Also must say, Bigdaddys ds is a sharp looking machine, I just need to find out how ya keep it new looking. LOL

Sandaman, I did not try the snorkle on the TM, But bigdaddy liked it on his, It will only take a little bit of tuning to get that dialed.

They call him bigdaddy because he make the punisher look like a dwarf..LOL