CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Billet Aluminum Cylinder & Head

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 03:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Billet Aluminum Cylinder & Head

The next 'race' you'ed be looking at is DS Days - LAbor Day weekend at Sand Mountain, NV. The race at Glamis is unnamed here for politcal reasons, and is held on MLK Weekend - meaning you just missed it and you're gonna have to wait anouter year for that one. So if you can, get back here for Labor Day weekend and check that show out, it should be fun.

Old 03-09-2004, 12:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

DS Day's would be the event to go to.

AND. . .

I call first Dibs! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-09-2004, 03:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Good to hear back from 1wickedDS. I was hoping that you didnt dissapear forever. It sounds like your Ds is still very versatile along with being "one-off". thats cool!

If your ever around Little sahara(okla) defiantely give a heads up, I would like to meet up with you and see your rig in action. If it is possible in a few short weeks from now, thier will be the fastest 4-strokes in the mid west at LS for Rattle-snake hunt weekend. You will have your pick of biult DS's and Rappy's and the new kid on the block biult YFZ's to play with. You should check it out, even if you cant bring your DS down, it will give you an Idea of what competition you have. your more than welcome to make a few passes on my Stage 2 DS.

Bigger.

Old 03-09-2004, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider

Hey guys, we need more interest than this to make that kind of investment. Knowing what is already available on the market - What would be fair pricing -?

Old 03-09-2004, 06:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 222
Hey guys, we need more interest than this to make that kind of investment. Knowing what is already available on the market - What would be fair pricing -?

$500-650 w/Nikasil or ceramic coating, based on prices I've seen on the internet.

Old 03-09-2004, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider

Based on the other DS650 big bore cylinder kits, $500-600 would be fair? It'll never be built [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Where can I go on the internet to buy this for the DS- I definitely want a few!!

Old 03-16-2004, 04:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 222
Based on the other DS650 big bore cylinder kits, $500-600 would be fair? It'll never be built [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Where can I go on the internet to buy this for the DS- I definitely want a few!!

No, not based on other DS650 big bore cylinder kits, based on going prices in the motorsports industry.

I said $500-650 for just the cylinder.

This company offers a V8 billet block. If you cut the price by 1/8 and take 30% more off due to all the extra aluminum that is present in the V8 block that doesn't exist in the DS cylinder, you are in the above price range:
http://www.cnblocks.com/

This company sells twin billet cylinders for under $1000 for the pair.
http://www.patrickracingbillet.com/pages/about-pr.html

Old 03-16-2004, 08:19 PM
Range Rover
when your holding the football - people will throw evrything they can at you to strip it away .... including the waterboy at the end of the bench.

Isn`t there a bigger market for V-8 blocks and Harley engines than for DS cylinders though? Why would`nt you base it on other going prices for DS cylinder kits?

You need to be competitively priced while making it worth designing in the first place...other-wise, whats the point?!

I think if one could offer this for a comparitive price as other aftermarket DS cylinder companies without the need to machine the cases while maintaining the advantages of Nikasil, and so on.......it would be swell! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-16-2004, 11:55 PM
Trailblazer

1/8th the price, minus another 30%?
A single cylinder, with no water or oil passages, and a steel sleeve cost almost $500.
These are your price point comparisons?
I commend your wishfull thinking {dare I say dreaming}, but when you look at the engineering that goes into it, the DS cylinder is more closely related to the SBC block than the Harley cylinder. For a billet piece like this, the cost of the alluminum is just a small % of the cost involved. Hundreds of hours designing and programing, dozens of hours machining, thousands of $'s depreciated value of the machinery to cut it, and heaven forbid, someone might want to actually make a profit from this. In my humble opinion, the Team Pami cylinder is actually quite a bargain.
If someone were to make a piston that would work with the Team Pami cylinder, but the stock stroke and rod; you would have the easiest, most affordable, most reliable, bolt on big bore kit around for the DS.
I've asked a friend with some experience in this, and he tells me the Pami cylinder fits the cases with little or no clearancing; so it could be done without spliting the cases.

Old 03-17-2004, 12:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

If your going to charge a couple grand for a billet cylinder, then you better make it worth EVERYONES money. Poeple wont pay $$$$ for a 750cc billet cylinder,cause they can get very close to that now for less than half the cost. You will have to make it BIG, where nobody could contest,and all the mags would be wanting to try it out. Something like a 1000cc Billet Cylinder and Head/piston and crank for 5000 dollars.

People would pay for something outlandish like that.

Bigger.

Quick Reply: Billet Aluminum Cylinder & Head