CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Pros/Cons of Twist/Thumb..

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004 | 03:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default Pros/Cons of Twist/Thumb..

Originally posted by: MudStud
I have been using a twist for the past year. I have not decided what I like better.
Twist Pro - Better comfort on long rides
Thumb Pro - The Feeling of better control
Twist Con - not as easy to do quick turns jumps and wheelies
Thum Con - Hurts after a while..

I cant seem do decide. I get one and want the other..
I am in the same boat I just put a twist on for the Oregon dunes and found my self either letting off or gassing it off a jump. I liked it for drag racing, and flat out hauling a$$. But in tight areas I could find myself in a mess. I am going to give it a try on a MX track (practice) and see if I can scare the crap out of my self before I put the thumb back on.

Old 03-05-2004 | 04:05 PM
Range Rover

stay with what you like & use to.be it twist or thumb.having fun is what it is about.

Old 03-05-2004 | 07:30 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: LokiDS650
Originally posted by: MudStud
I have been using a twist for the past year. I have not decided what I like better.
Twist Pro - Better comfort on long rides
Thumb Pro - The Feeling of better control
Twist Con - not as easy to do quick turns jumps and wheelies
Thum Con - Hurts after a while..

I cant seem do decide. I get one and want the other..
I am in the same boat I just put a twist on for the Oregon dunes and found my self either letting off or gassing it off a jump. I liked it for drag racing, and flat out hauling a$$. But in tight areas I could find myself in a mess. I am going to give it a try on a MX track (practice) and see if I can scare the crap out of my self before I put the thumb back on.
You probally don't have enough play in the throttle for landings. I keep about a 1/4" of play in mine and you don't have that problem.

As far as choosing I would say that people who have ridden bikes most of their lives will tend to go to a twist throttle and people who are new to riding will not know the difference and get used to the thumb throttle.

Old 03-05-2004 | 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

On a quad, you truly have to steer using the handlebars, so a thumb throttle is generally thought to be safer. On a motorcycle, steering is more a function of leaning than it is turning the handlebars, unless you're going very slow. In fact, at speed, attempting to turn the handlebars left in order to make a left turn will actually pitch a motorcycle to the right, and vice versa. It's kind of weird how that works! Anyway, I think that's one of the reasons quads have thumb throttles rather than twisters.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 03-05-2004 | 08:31 PM
Range Rover

sounds good, smell's like b.s.

Old 03-05-2004 | 08:42 PM
Range Rover

almost all you guy need to work on your throttle response a little more.thumb or twist

Old 03-05-2004 | 09:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

One thing that hasen't been talked about is grip on the bars. I have the stock thumber on my Bomb. It is going to come off as soon as I get time and the money. The reason? I had the bars ripped out of my hand more than once because I can not get a real good grip with a thumber. When you hit a 1 foot rut at 20 mph it will rip the bars right out of your hands!!! I think I will have a better chance with my thumb wrapped all the way around the grip. I'm an old bastard, and used to bikes so I'm going to a twisty. I hope I like it but??????

Old 03-05-2004 | 09:19 PM
Range Rover

you'll like it alot, doc. only a few of us do it seems!

Old 03-05-2004 | 10:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Thanks lt500abuser, I hope I will. I don't understand one thing and maybe you can shed some light on it for me. I've heard lots of people talk about control and the lack of it on a twister. Like climbing a hill and popping a wheelie. I don't understand that??? What about a bike? Whats the difference? Is it just what a person is used to? Is it that most people on this board never have owned a bike so they are not used to a twister?
What does anybody else think? Someone help me, I'm trying to understand this.

Old 03-06-2004 | 01:46 AM
Pro Rider

wheeled on the two wheelers for many years and when I got the DS I didn't know how I would like the thumb throttle.

With my TM 45, I was ok until I went to the accel. pump. Fine for duning but a real bear on the real long rides. I tried a twist throttle and used it for about two dune trips. The old arm pump came back and reminded me what I DIDN'T like about twist throttles. I guess I'm a lucky one, I've never had a problem with my thumb with a moderate pull and long rides. But then again, my meat hooks are pretty large.

Another thing that will help your comfort is getting a set of bars that matches your body. As big as I am, I had to get some bars that didn't require me to bring my arms in and turn my wrists out. That of course, required a riser block. I found that with the addition the riser block and the more natural (for me) bar bend, my riding experience was much less tiring thus more enjoyable. After reading and reading and reading, I found that the pros raise their bars as well to get to a more attack-like position. Couldn't be happier.

BigDaddy

Quick Reply: Pros/Cons of Twist/Thumb..