CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Nitro in a DS

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 11:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro in a DS

Hello to everyone. I lurk quite a bit but post very little. (Long time listener, first time caller) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

In several post recently I have seen mention of running nitro through a DS. This sounds like a potentially very expensive proposition. I am not speaking of fuel here either. The whole idea I find slightly bewildering as does a neighbor who has run nitro Harleys for 10 + years. Is the bombs bottom end and valves that much stronger than I think,or are those of you that are running it using very small percentages? How are you mixing it? How are you changing jetting? How are you changing ignition timing? Those are all questions he rattled off at me when I mentioned nitro on a quad to him.(after he stopped laughing, that is)

Some info on my money pit...erm i mean DS.
2001 Bombardier DS650 repeatedly crashed into trees (trail riding with Cannondales)
703 PAMI engine in final stages of construction
50 mm lectron set for alky
+6 inch swingarm (strutted)
4snows on the back
Cannondale shocks in the front (Hmm did I mention this bike is for drag only? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] )
Custom chain roller, so that my chain doesnt eat my frame, as my bike is slammed so low.
RWR cdi for the moment (looking for something better)

Old 03-16-2004, 11:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Nitro in a DS

The DS engine is very strong, I and you cannot run over 10% nitro through a normal carburator(set up way rich for alky) with out leaning the motor too much and thus loosing power. Some guys will use the help of fuel pumps and regulator to run a higher percentage. Nitro is very Vollital and heats the engine up real fast, So I rarely use it, but if thier is a Bashee that I just cant quite beat, then that 10% will put me ahaed(usually).

I would LOVE to know ALOT more about the mixture of Alky and Nitro, so if your Friend would be so kind as to pop his head in here,and give us some good tips,on how to get the MOST from our ALKY/NITRO set-ups, It would be very much appreciated.

After he stops laughing ofcorse.

Biggerisbetter.

Old 03-17-2004, 02:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default Nitro in a DS

Nitro is very slow burning, so the more mix you use the more you want to advance the timing. The problem is, nitro likes to detonate also. You have already found out that nitro is very low on BTU's. Alky has about half the BTU's of gas and nitro has about half of the alky. So like biggerisbetter said, you have to run a big time fuel system to keep up. If you are only drag racing, you could rig up a micky mouse injector set up with an electric fuel pump and micro switch. A good piston coating is good here. Also if they make them for your motor, you should put a aluminum rod in, it will handle the harsh shock load better than steel.

Old 03-17-2004, 06:46 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Nitro in a DS

I have to agree with Bigger (as much as it pains me to say that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]lol ) I would love to hear what your friend had to say. Tips/pointers from someone who has 10 years of expierance would be awful nice!

It sounds like you have a nice DS too!

Old 03-17-2004, 12:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!
Default Nitro in a DS

I run as hi as 35% with great luck and and have did so on carbs too!! I now run real fuel injection and my nitro bikes run as clean as any stock bike[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Also my bike never exceeds 190 deg i have in line and infered temp sensors.nitro is just another souirce of power and i have run it in my big ds for three seasons with no bad results.

PS: I dune on 20% nitro too [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]