CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Athena-ad Making 440 kit for the Z400 with a new jug. . . Think they would make a new jug for the DS???

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 01:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Athena-ad Making 440 kit for the Z400 with a new jug. . . Think they would make a new jug for the DS???

One of the local shops has a kit that is made by Athena-ad.

The kit includes a higher compression piston, rings, new (larger) cast alum. jug with Nik. coating, head and base gaskets.

Anyone know anything about these guys.

Old 03-22-2004, 12:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Athena-ad Making 440 kit for the Z400 with a new jug. . . Think they would make a new jug for the DS???

Well, I certainly hope they are better at building engines than websites, because their website is screwed up right now. If I was going to make my decision based on that I would have to thunk on it fer a while. Perhaps we will be able to get a look at their site when they get it fixed.

Old 03-22-2004, 10:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeh, the web site is a little weak. I tried clicking on their products / catalog page and it asked for a password. I just clicked enter and it let me in???

I can't e-mail on this computer but, plan on asking them if they offer a DS jug.

Old 04-13-2006, 12:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Time to wake these guys up again!!!

Heck, time for us to wake up!!! Have you seen how inexpensive their big-bore kits are? If I remember right you can get a YFZ KIT (piston, jug, gaskets, etc.) for less than $700!!! That same kit by Pami, Millianium, HP Research, TVI, etc. will run you about $1000 MORE!!!

Sent the e-mail below to them and their response is above it (also below).

Click Here to Send them an e-mail asking them to build a kit for the Rotax 650 Single Cylinder Engine!

__________________________________________________ _________________________

Dear Mark,

Thank you for your message and for your interest in our articles.

Unfortunately we do not have any cylinder kit for Rotax 650 in our range. You can see our complete range of our articles in our website www.athena-ad.com

Sorry for not helping you further but hope to be of better service on a future occasion.

Best regards

Daniela Zuffellato

ATHENA SPA

sales@athena-ad.com

-----Messaggio originale-----
Inviato: giovedì 13 aprile 2006 7.42
A: sales@athena-ad.com
Oggetto: Big Bore

Hello!

We've got a number of people interested in a big-bore for the Rotax 650.

Do you have a product in the works for this engine?

Thank you,

Mark

Click Here to Send them an e-mail asking them to build a kit for the Rotax 650 Single Cylinder Engine!

Old 04-13-2006, 12:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

This site has some of their products!

Old 04-13-2006, 12:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The upfront costs of design & casting are huge lump sum. How much of that cost you see in each cylinder is dependant on how many units you can sell. The DS market is still small enough that no one can make these things cheap for us. A casting costs as much as a new diesel pickup. I bet 20 Z400 big bores go out the door for every 1 DS bigbore. That puts us at a distinct cost disadvantage. I would be surprised if HPR isn't still in the red on the 730 until 2007. The risk is tremendous especially when you consider that BRP could unveil an 800cc Rotax twin at anytime which would knock the 730 upgrades on their cans.

It was well said when it was pointed out that all these race builders like HPR, thebom, Pami, TVI all do this (long hours, high upfront costs, low margins) because they have a passion for the business. If they were in it for the money, they could take their expertise and do better doing almost anything else![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I think of the guys who are always complaining about the builders because of their high prices and how silly they sound. They have no clue what is really involved in developing the products they want and they only seem to care about their own wallets. I am wondering when some are going to realize that if people can't make a living developing the parts we love, they aren't going to be developing them for long. Anyone who thinks Pami, HPR, thebom and TVI are laughing all the way to the bank every time they sell a bigbore, is out of touch. IMHO[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-13-2006, 01:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DSNUT
The upfront costs of design & casting are huge lump sum. How much of that cost you see in each cylinder is dependant on how many units you can sell. The DS market is still small enough that no one can make these things cheap for us. A casting costs as much as a new diesel pickup. I bet 20 Z400 big bores go out the door for every 1 DS bigbore. That puts us at a distinct cost disadvantage. I would be surprised if HPR isn't still in the red on the 730 until 2007. The risk is tremendous especially when you consider that BRP could unveil an 800cc Rotax twin at anytime which would knock the 730 upgrades on their cans.

It was well said when it was pointed out that all these race builders like HPR, thebom, Pami, TVI all do this (long hours, high upfront costs, low margins) because they have a passion for the business. If they were in it for the money, they could take their expertise and do better doing almost anything else![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I think of the guys who are always complaining about the builders because of their high prices and how silly they sound. They have no clue what is really involved in developing the products they want and they only seem to care about their own wallets. I am wondering when some are going to realize that if people can't make a living developing the parts we love, they aren't going to be developing them for long. Anyone who thinks Pami, HPR, thebom and TVI are laughing all the way to the bank every time they sell a bigbore, is out of touch. IMHO[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Now that was very, very well said. Good Job Ron.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-13-2006, 01:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Whatever Nut. . . is it just me or do you seem to want to stir the pot with every new post?

I agree, these guys aren't making bank on these kits.

Heck, I don't even need a kit. Just looking for options for the Joe Mechanic wanting a little more.

I don't see anything wrong with pushing another builder into the mix. It's about competition. After all, that's what has made the DS builders out there so good.

These kits are for the every-day garage mechanic NOT for someone looking to win the big drag races. Not everyone is looking to win the big drags. There are a lot of people looking for a little extra power and a simple way to do it.

The simple thing is, if you want a big bore at a lower cost that isn't going to have the factory support or options to build it into a competition bike, drop these guys an e-mail. If you don't want that option, don't send them an e-mail. If you don't think anyone should send an e-mail. . . start your own thread on the discussion.

Old 04-13-2006, 01:14 PM
Pro Rider

All I can say is watch the horizon gentlmen.

Old 04-13-2006, 01:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Scatterbrain
All I can say is watch the horizon gentlmen.

That's what I wanna hear! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Athena-ad Making 440 kit for the Z400 with a new jug. . . Think they would make a new jug for the DS???