CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Reducing DS650 Frontend Weight Bias?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2000, 01:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any ideas on how to reduce the DS650's relatively large frontend weight bias? I don't see an easy solution. See frame here: http://www.atvconnection.com/editor/.../chassis4b.JPG

Old 07-20-2000, 02:22 PM
Range Rover

How about adjusting your rear suspension so you have more sag (lowering the rear shock travel and shifting more weight to the rear of the ATV)? From what I hear, the DS has plenty of travel anyway's. Hope this helps!

Old 07-23-2000, 02:02 AM
Range Rover

Dont take this offensively but I see you have found the solution to the front end weight problem and all the other quirks. Hope the next one you (we) guine pig is less stressful?

Old 07-23-2000, 01:28 PM
Trailblazer

If you wanted to fix the problem for good without having play around with your shocks I would buy a
-2 inch swingarm and get +2or3 inch a-arms.
this will move your machine's weight more to the rear and will allow for quicker handling, and will solve the hook up problem that you guys are facing because the swingarm will be shorter so more weight is placed on it, also lots of pro's shorten their swingarm for muddy tracks to aid in hookup.
anyway hope this helps.

BUB

Old 07-23-2000, 11:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

bubbagodkin, The swing arm is a great idea! I have been analyzing pictures of the Raptors frame, the DS650 frame and the 400EX frame to try and understand how the DS650 is different. If I use a lighter aluminum swingarm will the weight reduction in the rear end counter what I am trying to accomplish? What are some companies that make swingarms?

Will shifting some weight to the rearend with a shorter swingarm also help with the frontend steering problems we have.

What would +2or3 A-arms do for us given that the DS is already too wide for trails?

Is it feasible to have the existing swingarm shortened? See swingarm: https://atvconnection.com/editor/rev...rearaxle1b.JPG

Thanks.

Old 07-24-2000, 01:45 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry about the mistake in my first message but what I was trying to say with the front end is get some a-arms that go forward 2 or 3 inches more than stock but retain the stock width many aftermarket chassis type companies make these but I'm not sure if they have any yet for a DS, and with the swingarm I think that maybe laegar would have what you need but I'm not sure if they have aftermarket goodies yet for your machine maybe a custom deal is needed. But another thing you could do is cut some of your seat foam off to make it seem as though your not sitting as high but you may have to buy some stiffer foam to compensate for the less height I got this performed at a local furniture repulstery shop for $50 (canadian) with a new trick black seat cover (it is much stronger and thicker/stickier)
anyway I hope that this info helps, oh and by the way I can't wait to see what you say about the turbo, because if it works then I may be making a trip over to the dealer to buy me a DS.

BUB