CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Let's talk CDI's

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 01:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let's talk CDI's

I'm trying to decide on which CDI to go with. RW says that their current CDI's have no rev limiter. Vortex makes a nice unit with 10 possible advance curves. MSD's looks pretty good too ( $500, ouch, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] ). I notice that alot of U guys R running RW's. What do ya'll think? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 04-23-2004, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Let's talk CDI's

Well i am in the same boat u are in, but i think i have made up my mind with the vortex cdi.Seems to be a good and reliable cdi. I dont want to eliminate my rev due to the fact that it can damage the motor so i think the vortex is the best bang for the buck IMO. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Lance

Old 04-23-2004, 01:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Let's talk CDI's

My MSD needs to be sent back & checked out, will not adjust properly[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] I have had a couple RW and they have worked great!! But one oops & $$$$$$$$$$$$

Old 04-23-2004, 01:56 AM
Pro Rider
Default Let's talk CDI's

i think the 450 $ is well worth it for the peace of mind your not going to over-rev your engine. I dont think i could get the vortex, u have to send it in every time u want to chang the rev-limiter, where the msd you can totally program everything on the fly..

Old 04-23-2004, 02:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Let's talk CDI's

give me the website for the msd's if yall dont mind. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Lance

Old 04-23-2004, 09:58 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Let's talk CDI's

woods works pretty good but there are safer ones not sure they are better

Old 04-23-2004, 12:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Let's talk CDI's

I don't think the MSD has enough timing for alcohol? The DS stock timing is way too conservative, even on gas. Most motors need 36 degrees of timing on gas. The vortex is a pain to get custom programmed, but if you can you'd be better off. There are a few other CDI manufacturers out there that allow you to program the curves yourself for a reasonable price for the software. If these ever came available for the DS that would be the beter solution.

Old 04-23-2004, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default Let's talk CDI's

have had the rwr and graydon. didn't see any difference between the two? but wow! the vortex really woke things up[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] it does have a lower rev limit at 8800rpm but my ds isn't making alot more after 9000rpm anyway (plus if and when i miss shift it catches me) plus switching on the fly to a retarded setting for hole shots works great.

Old 04-23-2004, 12:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Let's talk CDI's

I have never known anybody to "hurt" a DS motor by Over-revving. Were not talking Rappy motors here, The Rotax can take pretty much anything you throw at it.

Now the advantages of the other CDI's for people that want to change Revlimits,and timing for Nitrous/or Special blends, the added expense may be worth it. But I would not justify spending $200 more just becuase of the occasional missed shift. JMO. The RWR CDI works great.

Bigger.

Old 04-23-2004, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default Let's talk CDI's

you'r right had the vortex not come along i would still running my graydon or is it the rwr? any way and still happy with it. we ice raced and dirt drag, sand race without a limiter with no problems. all the bells and whistles don't alway make for a better product. come to think of it without this forum my ds might still be all stock and i would still love to ride it. save you'r $$$ and find more time to ride.

Quick Reply: Let's talk CDI's