CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

+12" Swingarm

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004 | 03:17 PM
|
Extreme Pro Rider
Default +12" Swingarm

Should I go with a +12" swingarm? Currently, with the +8" and 12 paddles, slightly lowered chassis, the DS will either stand up at take off requiring abort, or come up partially and remain up while pulling making it not wise to hit the next gear without letting off and using clutch, or it will come up as the DS speed catches up to wheel speed towards the end of the current gear.

Old 04-23-2004 | 03:43 PM
amd
Pro Rider
Default +12" Swingarm

scooby after seing your ds at snake hunt I would say go for the +12 and lower it some more, maybe even think about some drag struts, or you might try some smaller tires for now, it will blow them off but atleast you could keep the front end down. That would work untill you got the +12..

just my .002

Old 04-23-2004 | 04:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?
Default +12" Swingarm

You probably would be more safe w/ a +12 swingarm. Looks like your + 8 could be dangerous. Let me know if the + 8 needs a new home. Is it an American star? Did they re-enforce it near the frame. I broke one before, but It had nearly no gussets.

Old 04-23-2004 | 04:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?
Default +12" Swingarm

Scooby. I dont do much flat drags, But Im willing to bet you keep the front end raised that much for stability. I lowered mine w/ struts and almost wrecked @ 300ft on the flats, in sand.

Old 04-23-2004 | 04:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default +12" Swingarm

Must be a good reason, but why not a 6' wheelie bar?

Old 04-23-2004 | 05:39 PM
Pro Rider
Default +12" Swingarm

I kinda wonderd about the wheelie bar too. But I would stick with the 8 just for the reason of keeping that chain shorter. Then maybe try a 8-10 paddle tire instead of 12 paddle to creat more spin and less lift. then you can gear up or down for more less spin as well to fine tune it. 12 paddles may just be tooo much bite and sending you skyward.

Nice suttle way to talk it up too LMAO[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-23-2004 | 06:13 PM
|
Extreme Pro Rider
Default +12" Swingarm

I already geared it up to 17/38 with 22" 12-paddles, take off in 2nd gear to dampen the takeoff. The tallest I can run without too many chain clearance issues is 17/35.

The problem with lowering anymore is chain clearance issues. I would like to go a few inches lower but the chain issues are a pain.

I've seen the turbo banshees run +12 or +14 and the frontend still comes up but their fronted is lighter and they have overrides. Now mine is no turbo banshee, but it still has a ton of torque.

I can't run an override with the current setup. I let off and pull in the clutch to shift for safety now. Something needs to change to run an override or speedshift.

Saturday afternoon I accidentally bumped my vortec CDI handlebar switch changing the setting which retarded the ignition 6 degrees at takeoff. With the switch set the other way you can barely launch the thing.

Old 04-23-2004 | 06:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default +12" Swingarm

Wow thats some high gearing!! WIth that high of gearing your probaly getting little tire spin to launch. if you can conrol the quad then thats good but when you cant thats bad. What I envision you doing is milking the starts to keep your front end down as much as possible. Thats kinda putting a bandaid on the problem and makes for real inconsistant runs. I would try lower gearing and let the tires spin out at the launch, Hook up is more gradual and your front wont lift as much. I still think you could have too many paddles. Next time you run it with some other DS's around that would maybe have 8 or 10 paddles on them, switch with them and give it a run. Its hard to compare with the drag banshee's, like you said they are lighter and it seems that they dont seem to mind running on 2 wheels the entire time, I am more like you, I want to be able to stear and see where I am going. My new quad has 10 paddles on it, if I cant keep the front end down and launch hard, then I will make these changes till I can.

Old 04-23-2004 | 06:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default +12" Swingarm

Here's a solution,

Try getting on a honda 300ex for a weekend of riding in the sand. Then when you get back on your monster quad, you wont think its so much of a problem anymore. LOL

Thats all I got,

Gary

Old 04-23-2004 | 07:09 PM
|
Extreme Pro Rider
Default +12" Swingarm

The tires are 74 rollout superlites. I read that they hook harder off the line and give better topend than regular haulers. Maybe that's not the best tire for my setup.

The banshees run 14 or 16 paddles. I would think a heavier quad would need more paddle than a lighter quad - the extra weight is resistance to moving forward creating more spin?

Quick Reply: +12" Swingarm