CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Power Problems!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 02:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Problems!

I can't seem to keep my nose on the ground wide open in fifth gear at 75mph now that I'm wearing these new Extreme's on the rear!
I mean if I come up over a rise or even just a little whoop the front end floats up like crazy and if the wind is blowing any harder at me than it was yesterday it would've carried me on over! And 2nd gear drag starts with my 14/41 gearing is totally uncontrollable, I might as well hang it all up and quit racing unless I get an extended swingarm!

I'm torn between two loves - and no I aint talkin about my wife and my wheels either, I'm talkin about woods and sand. At 6'-8" tall the DS is the only bike that fits me, literally. I guess what I need is another DS - a stocker for the trails, and the one I got decked out for the dunes. Because if I break away from the stock swingarm length for the sand, I'll suffer in the woods big time of course. But the wife, well she wants this baby you see, and if she has it her way then the next set of wheels I buy will be a stroller....

Old 05-01-2004, 02:21 AM
Pro Rider
Default Power Problems!

hightower cant you just put a 15t on the front or even a 16t. you definatly have the power to turn it. i know you've already thought of this but just thought i ask. and trust me on this if you decide to have kids you will have 2 loves the ds and your kids. i have a 7 month old son and another on the way in 5 months. i thought my quad was my favorite hobby but now my son is my life!!!!!! i wouldnt trade it for anything!!! you can have the best of both worlds.

Old 05-01-2004, 04:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Power Problems!

yes I have all the mentioned sprockets. I run 15/41 for trails with knobbies, this low gearing in the dunes is for taking hillshoots and huge bowls in 4th gear.
I'm kidding a little bit, I know I'll dig being a dad, I'm just a little cold in the feet.

So what's the word - I see in your sig you got both carbs now, which one tickles your fancy the most?

Old 05-01-2004, 05:33 AM
Pro Rider
Default Power Problems!

a baby huh? I think our wives have been talking! My wife actually turned down a new KFX 400, because she wants a kid !!!!!! Crazy! We have my brothers 1 yr old daughter tonight. (It's 4:37am!) My wife wanted to play house I think....

Old 05-01-2004, 10:28 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Power Problems!

after three the kids are pretty cool they do stuff that makes you shake you head. wellgood luck on that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] if you can go to a gearin cal look and see if you can find a gearing that will meet you needs else where say like starting in first. i've seen some fast guys go this way.

Old 05-01-2004, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default Power Problems!

Hightower,

Lets fast forward a little bit, you know she will have her way so get ready to mod the stroller[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. Just kidding man. I feel your pain, my wife worried me to death until I gave in. But now its great to come home from work to see that little smiling face. I have two quads and barely have time to ride one (my point here is you ain't gonna have as much free time). So I'd say make old yeller fit both worlds and save that extra money (that you would spend on another DS) for a DS 90[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Good luck man.

Old 05-01-2004, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default Power Problems!

I DONT KNOW YET. I DROP THE BIKE OFF AT THE DYNO TO GET IT DIALED IN TO SEE WHICH IONE I LIKED BETTER BUT ITS STILL THERE AND THEY HAVENT DONE IT YET. IM TRYING TO FIND SOMEWHERE ELSE TO BRING IT TO HAVE IT DONE. ITS BEEN THERE ALMOST A WEEK AND A HALF NOW.

Old 05-01-2004, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power Problems!

St650, good luck on finding a dyno, please let us know your results.

Hightower, I noticed that last time I was at Silver Lake, to much traction on take off, stood it on end a couple of times, at not even half throttle, with my 150# *** on the tank....I wonder how much it would be for a longer swing arm with axle, carrier, sprocket, and chain, ( or a small piece) -a whole separate combo for the dunes, then switch back to stock for trails..anybody do this? I suppose if you can find all this stuff used, it wouldn't be to much...if you went with a + 2, I don't think you would have to change your rear shock.

Would a + 2 swingarm affect woods riding that much? I'm sure it will help in the dunes.

Old 05-01-2004, 05:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Power Problems!

that's a good idea on the +2

Old 05-01-2004, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default Power Problems!

If you don't want the front end too light at the dunes run bald rear tires[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] It's cheaper.

I can't seem to keep my nose on the ground wide open in fifth gear at 75mph now that I'm wearing these new Extreme's on the rear!
Geez! To have you guys problems! It must be horrible! Wheels up in 3rd makes me happy.

Quick Reply: Power Problems!