CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Any DS'ers out in San Diego... wanna ride MEX??

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any DS'ers out in San Diego... wanna ride MEX??

To all the local DSers out here in Sunny San Diego....

I thought I'd let ya know we have some killer riding in Baja Mexico...

We're planning a fun day ride on the 16th (this Sunday) to ride to Laguna Hanson from Tecate (there and back about 140 miles - my route) and another maybe on the 22nd (the following Saturday) to pre-run the Baja 500 course.

Anyone interested who owns a DS... or anything capable of a long journey, rider included... (must be able to make 70mile intervals between gas, and to make the trek physically... maintaining a good speed and varying complex terrain from muddy riverbeds to jeep trails to fast roads also traveled by the local farmers). It's fun, and adventurous.

Let me know... It should be fun (Dates subject to change [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] )

Old 05-11-2004, 07:29 PM
Range Rover

Mexico.....too many banditos for me.

Old 05-11-2004, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider

Well... This is true...

But where's the sense of adventure??? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Or how about the wonderful Military checkpoints?!?!
Last one we encountered... the only guy there that spoke any English whatsoever... and didn't have a bad attitude (since we were waaaay out in the boonies, these poor guys had made camp. Hummer in the bushes all camo'd... and tents... some small rocks in the road to slow ya down for when they stopped us... M1s and M16s... a couple MP5s in hand...) came to us in a SD Padres cap. Too funny. We made small talk... ended up laughing WITH them... and did a couple wheelies for'em when we rode off. But... we almost didn't get off to easy when one of my unknowing buddies tried to speak slang to them.... "Oddda laaaay"... I made up for it with my Spanish and told them he heard his Spanish in movies!!! They let us go.

"Badges.... we don't need no stinkin' badges!"

Old 05-11-2004, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds fun! But I live in Oklahoma and probably could not keep up. Plus I ride a 400ex w/ stock tank.
Your Mike's pictures look like my cup of tea....one of these days....have fun and congrats on a kick *** site.
Hippyhunter

Old 05-11-2004, 08:47 PM
Range Rover

Maybe someday Johnny J. Bikes not quite ready for that yet. I've ridden down in Tecate a couple of times, but nothing too serious. Fud and the D38 folks held a bunch of races down there, and I pre-ran one of the courses but never raced. Do you do much trail riding on this side of the border?

Old 05-11-2004, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

Hippy....
Thanks for the thumbs up on the site... the praise will keep it open. I almost closed it as it costs me the $$. But that "someday" attitude is what ya gotta change!!! Come on out... someday, and ride Glamis, Mexico.... and anything else we have to offer. It's a killer place to ride those places. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

04Ds guy....
I don't do much 'trail riding' on the Bomb... she's just too big. Too top heavy. And not really set up for it. Locally I'll ride tracks (on my CRF) or take out my XR6fitty (being street legal). The bombs mostly used in Mex, Plaster City (D38 area), or Glamis where it fits best and is most happy. I'll ride the trails up in McCain Valley on my CRF... but that's mostly single track, and a quad wouldn't fit. HOW ABOUT YOU??? I see you pic is in the dunes... Glamis I take it?! Oh, and get the radiator scoops... it's amazing how well they work!!!! My fan rarely comes on!!!

And to the both of ya....
You're missin out not riding Mexico... It's awesome!!!!

Talk to ya later,
John

Old 05-11-2004, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

I will be down there in 2 weeks prerunning for the Baja 500.

Old 05-11-2004, 11:24 PM
Range Rover

Are you running the stock tank or like a 5 gal aftermarket? That sounds like an awful long way ( my kind of ride) for a single tank to hold out. Man i wish i could join you but unfortunately this time of year im working 6 or 7 days a week. Whereabouts in san diego do you live? I'm in O'side.

Old 05-11-2004, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

Sled...

It's a 5.0 galloner... and we stop about every 70 or so miles for gas. Or anywhere we can. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Both my XR and Bomb are setup for these rides.... they're awesome. Go check out the video trailer on my Mike's Site to see the terrain.

I live in Clairemont off the 805 and Balboa Ave.

Old 05-11-2004, 11:32 PM
Range Rover

Sweeeeet website by the way johnnyair, very nice![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Any DS'ers out in San Diego... wanna ride MEX??