CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

I've had it with the DS650! Radiator fluid in the crankcase!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2000, 07:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the loss of radiator fluid is ending up in the engine oil. The oil has a cream color to it and seems foamy. Smoke and cream color foam comes out of the crankcase breather hose, goes into the carb, causing it to run strange. The oil level has been rising.

Old 07-29-2000, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

did you ever try to take your ds back to the dealer and demand a refund at this point you are probaly ready to sew Bombardier

Old 07-29-2000, 09:04 PM
Trailblazer

Scooby.Sounds like a head gasket leaking to me.Take it to a radiator shop and they can put a device on the radiator opening and if exhaust is leaking into the coolant it will change the fluid color , then you will know for sure if the head gasket is leaking .
Bearman

Old 07-29-2000, 11:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

What would cause this to happen? The DS has not overheated as far as I know, although I have been riding in 100 degree weather. The temperature light never comes on - I assume the overtemp sensor is not bad. If the sensor is bad, that is a manufacturing defect and the damage resulting from it should be covered even if the warranty has expired. I read that if the engine overheats you could warp the head and blow the gasket, major $$$. The DS is out of warranty as of last week. I don't think I should have to pay for the work.

Old 07-30-2000, 04:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

What about the seals at the waterpump, could they be bad? If it is a bad head gasket, I could probably order a gasket myself and replace it without it being a lot of work?

Old 07-30-2000, 07:40 PM
Trailblazer

I dont think you should have to pay for this problem either.Bombardier has been great with my warranty problems.The phone # for customer service is [715] 848 4957 that is where I would start.I remember you saying that it might have been run without coolant because you had a leak, the temp.light should have came on, since it didnt the problem should be covered under warranty.If it did overheat the aluminum head getting very hot and then cooling down will allow it to warp causing the head gasket to leak coolant into the oil and sometimes exhaust gases to escape into the coolant causing it to overheat even more.The only fix is to remove the head and resurface it.Install a new head gasket and check everything for wear or cracks.I always retorque my head after 10 hours of use as a precaution.Hope this helps
Bearman

Old 07-30-2000, 07:50 PM
Trailblazer

As far as a water pump seal being bad that is a possibility, that is why you should have it checked for exhaust leaking into the coolant.You could buy the tool to do it yourself, It is available from most tool suppliers and not very expensive.Probably 50 to 60 dollars.you will have to buy the motorcycle adapter to fit youre DS.Good luck
Bearman

Old 07-31-2000, 12:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I was reading JamesDS650's posts on his waterpump leak problem. I guess there is a weep hole for the radiator fluid to leak out of if the seal is bad, rather than forcing the fluid to enter the crankcase. I haven't noticed any leaks near the waterpump.

Old 07-31-2000, 01:33 AM
Trailblazer

scooby when i first built my ds back in jan. i had a bad head stud nut. the nut was striped and would not come off. i had to drill and pin the nut to the stud. then pull the stud. ( this was on the right side with the small pocket ) the head gasket had not blown. but it did not crush all the way. when i called bombardier they said they never heard of this. but they sent me 4 new studs and nuts. the studs were the same but the nuts were silver not gold like came off. when i checked it out the old nuts were grade 5 and the new were grade 8. my point is why did they change the nuts if there were no problem.

Old 07-31-2000, 09:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Today I tested the wiring of the overtemp sensor to make sure that the light comes on when the overtemp "switch" closes. The light does come on when I ground the wire to the sensor case. Then I removed the sensor to have it tested. I heated it up to 239+ degrees and the resistance was zero like it is supposed to be, so the overtemp sensor is good. As a result, I don't think I have ever overheated the DS because I have not seen the light come on nor have I ever had the radiator boil/steam over. When the radiator has gone dry, I noticed it in time before running the temperature through the roof. So I am hoping I don't have a warped head. I guess that leaves to possibilities - 1) head not torqued properly causing blown head gasket 2) bad seal at waterpump.

Quick Reply: I've had it with the DS650! Radiator fluid in the crankcase!!