CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Vortex or MSD

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004 | 05:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Vortex or MSD

isn't the MSD multi-spark at low RPM like all there products? this would cause tach to read erratic at low RPM.

Old 05-13-2004 | 06:32 PM
Range Rover
Default Vortex or MSD

hey scooby if you wouldnt mind send me and email and I could answer your questions, my computer keeps playing games with me and wont let me send pms back. thanks. crkjack@rochester.rr.com
Kyle

Old 05-13-2004 | 06:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default Vortex or MSD

Originally posted by: ds650king
hey scooby if you wouldnt mind send me and email and I could answer your questions, my computer keeps playing games with me and wont let me send pms back. thanks. crkjack@rochester.rr.com
Kyle
Can you post it here so we can all learn

Old 05-13-2004 | 07:03 PM
Range Rover
Default Vortex or MSD

well the question wasnt about the box, but anything you guys want to know about the msd feel free to ask. as of now I'll tell you what I think of it. The spark is definetly alot stronger just by looking at it when fired with the plug out it really arcs, second the tach issue has been solve so that is no longer an issue. I really like the fact of being able to change a variety of settings without have to worry having a map that will work for that. As far as I know mrhp is working with the vortex's to set them up to come with curves that will work great and be based off what mods you have. The only downfall I see of the msd is the installation. I wouldnt say it was hard but it was not plug and play thats for sure. When I ordered mine msd didnt have an adapter for the baja so I had to hard wire it myself and I didnt have a wiring diagram so it took a couple of phone calls to tvi to finally get it right. (at first they told me colors it didnt even have lol). well if you guys have any questions feel free to ask, but just remember my pms dont work so either post here or email me.....kyle

Old 05-13-2004 | 09:23 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Vortex or MSD

I think I'm sold on the Vortex. I like the fact that the MSD produces a bigger spark. How much is the Vortex vs the MSD?

Old 05-14-2004 | 12:00 AM
Range Rover
Default Vortex or MSD

as far as I know the vortex is 400 and the msd is 450. the msd was 400 when it first came out but now its up to the regular price.

Old 05-14-2004 | 12:04 AM
Pro Rider
Default Vortex or MSD

Does it have a soft rev limit for drag racing. So you can have the initial rev limit set at your launch rpm like at 5k rpm then have the normal limit be set at 9rpm? How is the physical size of the unit? Is it compatiable with the EFI kits that are out there? or do the efi use there own cdi?

Old 05-14-2004 | 09:20 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Vortex or MSD

i'm pretty sure it has the soft rev you ask about.

Old 05-14-2004 | 04:06 PM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.
Default Vortex or MSD

Yes, the MSD has a holeshot rev limiter. You can use the clutch safety switch to activate it but you lose the safety aspect of the clutch switch. You can also add a microswitch on the clutch lever to activate the hole shot if you really need it and keep the safety switch. The MSD is big and heavy and a pain to mount and hook up, esp. in a Baja. The saving graces are the ability to custom the advance curve to your bike, including the rev limit, degrees over stock, etc. When I ordered the MSD, the price was $399. When I got it the price had gone up to $450.. Go figure... Anyway, works for me.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-14-2004 | 06:15 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Vortex or MSD

Does the Vortex has a rev limiter? If so at what RPM?

Quick Reply: Vortex or MSD