CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Jetting an aftermarket carb. (such as 46HV) [n20 instead?]

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jetting an aftermarket carb. (such as 46HV) [n20 instead?]

ever since i got my DS and started adding performance parts Ported intake/exhaust/KN etc etc I have been messing with jetting.... i NEVER seem to be able to get it exactly PERFECT! (its not that i dont ever adjust it, but it seems the carb is PICKY so when i ride a few hours away at a tiny change in elevation, or in a temp change it is a drastic change for the carb)

Once i get back from the next trip and do any maintenance/fixing on the ds (having a starter/one way issue) If im not broke (hopefully the repairs wont kill me as long as it somthing small like the bearing) i would like to look into a new carb. The main one i keep hearing people give rave reviews about is the 46hv. (any other opinions that dont agree with that?)

Compared to stock what is it like jetting a 46hv? harder/easier? (they done use mains do they? anyone care to explain exactly how they operate?)

I would like somthing that is easy to adjust, easy to install preferably cheap (46hv is around 600 with a thumb throttle?)

For one who already has the "usual" hop ups would this be the next best part? (if the 46 is harder to tune than a stocker i may end up getting either front or rear shocks..) I dont really care to run race fuel (probably no cams/pistons) Big bores are a little out of my league (cash wise and not enough engine experience to maintain one probably...) Dont care too much for alky (im somewhat lazy so i dont really want to run it only part of the time, and also would be worried about it drying everything up even after purging) and finally Nitrous.... (this would probably be the only other thing i would MAYBE consider) I know nitrous is volatile...how dangerous is it to run? I have heard its cheap to refill bottles...but i also know you can only run a few passes on small bottles... is nitrous reliable? how about safety issues? (i have heard horror stories about guys crashing and the nitrous bottle blows and they lost a limb and other crazy stuff )

sorry for the long post....i typed this all mid-thought about preparing for our trip tomorrow so sorry if any/all of it didnt make sense [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]