CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

HID Helmet Lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004 | 08:05 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default HID Helmet Lights

Has anyone used or seen the Trailtech HID helmet lights?

LINK

# See where you look - not where your bike is pointed.
# Trail Tech helmet mounted HID lights put out 76 watts of halogen equivalent light while only drawing 13 watts per light (26 watts total).
# Custom designed for a perfect fit on motorcycle helmets.
# Break away connectors stay together even in harsh racing environments but come apart in the event of a crash.
# Helmet Lights make cornering at night as easy as cornering during the day.
# Because they are mounted high, helmet lights see into holes / whoops.
# Can be run from the bike's DC electrical system or battery operated.
# Easily switched to different helmets.

I have seen them on ebay for a little over $200, I thought they could be usefull for night rides in the dunes.

Old 06-09-2004 | 10:15 PM
Range Rover

Sand, I like your site.
The Home page warning sticker, and the River Girls are right on.

Old 06-10-2004 | 10:00 AM
Pro Rider

I test rode them last T-day at Glamis. The Trailtech people were set up at vendor road and let me ride their YZF450 with HID ights mounted and two HID helmet lights. They worked well for the price.

I have a Nightrider HID light for my helmet. That works well too.

Now, if I can only get the stock 2004 bulbs replaced with HID.

Old 06-10-2004 | 10:52 AM
|
Pro Rider

azsandrider, what do you think works better, the Nightrider HID helmet light of the trailtech hid helmet lights? One advantage I see the trailtech is that you can tap into your quads charging system where the nightrider system say to only use with their on rechargeable batteries. Where the trailtech lights bright? they claim two of them will give off 70w of light, did it seem about that? One thing that concerns me about the trailtech is they were able to fit the ballast and starter in the light housing, I haven't seen any other hid light like that, maybe there is a reason for it! How heavy where the lights? Did you notice the extra weight on top of your head?

Old 06-10-2004 | 12:25 PM
Pro Rider

My friends and I use the helmet lights from http://www.helmetlight.com/.

They are really great, night riding is so much easier with them.

Old 06-11-2004 | 09:08 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Sandaholic
azsandrider, what do you think works better, the Nightrider HID helmet light of the trailtech hid helmet lights? One advantage I see the trailtech is that you can tap into your quads charging system where the nightrider system say to only use with their on rechargeable batteries. Where the trailtech lights bright? they claim two of them will give off 70w of light, did it seem about that? One thing that concerns me about the trailtech is they were able to fit the ballast and starter in the light housing, I haven't seen any other hid light like that, maybe there is a reason for it! How heavy where the lights? Did you notice the extra weight on top of your head?
Hmmm, a lot of questions.....

I think the Nightrider may be a little better for coverage.

The Trailtechs were more of a spot light and I was wearing their helmet and the lights were set up for them, and I only had about five minutes test ride.

I got a good deal on my Nightrider so the costs were comparable, BUT, if I was buying right now, I think the Trailtech's cost makes up for the difference in the lights.

When I bought the Nightrider I had a Banshee so the external battery pack was an advantage. Now I have a DS and I'm wondering what will happen if I plug the Nightrider light directly into the DS charging system like Trailtech does. I think I'll contact Nightrider and ask and see what the say. My battery pack works well, but I would be more conveinient to plug in directly. I also have a head mount and use my light around the house and on the boat.

As for light weight, I didn't notice it, but I ride a MC for a living and wear a helmet all day, so I'm used to helmets.

I believe the starter and ballast are in the light head of my Nightrider too. I think both companies are using the same internals, at least the specs are close. I know Trailtech said they do over drive their light to have a 10 watt put out 13 watts. I don't kno how that will effect the life of the bulb.

I do know for a battery operated light, it throws out a lot of light. The original design is for night riding bicycles and they accomplished that. On faster vehicles, like ATVs and dirtbikes, we can go much faster and may over drive the helmet light. That is why I use the helmet light as an auxilary light, and why I want oput more HIDs on my DS. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

When dune season starts, I'll be at Buttercup Halloween and then Gordons most trips after. If you go the same times, I'll let you try my Nightrider light.

Whew...did that cover it all ???? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-11-2004 | 01:17 PM
|
Pro Rider

Thanks for answer all my questions!

I found this on Niterider's web site:
Can I run the HeadHunter off the stator on my O.H.V.?
No, The HeadHunter is designed to run off of a NiteRider battery pack only, using any other power source could damage the lighting system and will void
the warranty.

This is probably referring to bikes that don't have batteries, and run off the stator alone.

Old 06-12-2004 | 06:49 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Sandaholic
Thanks for answer all my questions!

I found this on Niterider's web site:
Can I run the HeadHunter off the stator on my O.H.V.?
No, The HeadHunter is designed to run off of a NiteRider battery pack only, using any other power source could damage the lighting system and will void
the warranty.

This is probably referring to bikes that don't have batteries, and run off the stator alone.
Yeah, I read that too. I've had my Nightrider for about 3 years so I 'm sure the warranty is up anyway. When I call them, I'll let you know what they say.