Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

lt230s has reverse and struggles to go into gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 04:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt230s has reverse and struggles to go into gear

Hey there i have a 86 lt230s just kickstart and full clutch. Ok so i just got it for 200 in semi running condition. But anyway i got it running and moving well i had everything ready and set up to go and moving around the yard but i shut it off for a few got my helmet and gloves on started it back up dropped it in first and it was barely moving putvit in 2nd and still barely anything i see the gear trying to turn the chain so i put it in reverse and no problems at all i even had it damn near redlined seeing if it would move and nothing. Maybe the oil needs to be changed or the clutch plates? Idk im completly lost now

Old 10-15-2015, 11:11 PM
Trailblazer

I have the same bike year and all. Sounds like the clutch is worn out if I just had to guess. Put the rear wheels up on blocks in nuetral and see if the axle spins freely forward and backward. If it does then I'd say its your clutch basket. Sounds like the oil was cold when you first started, thats why it worked and as the oil warmed up the plates started slipping. Ebay sells the parts reasonably and you can fix this yourself. There is a site called the lt230svault that has specs, info, how-to, it's great. The biggest pain is getting the kicksterter gear in the right place but its only time consuming getting it on the correct tooth.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yea i figured as much and yea i took off the clutch and checked it out the damn steel plates were burned up and the clutch plated were shot on the sides. But i replaced the whole thing. I got the whole new clutch with plated and springs for 25$ on ebay. Yea i screwed with the kick start gears for 6 hours till i gave up and called a buddy to fix it for me. But hell i only paid 200$ for it. Only put a new bassani exhaust and new clutch in it and purs like a kitten

Old 10-15-2015, 11:31 PM
Trailblazer

Right on dude! excellent fix. I had my clutch cable adjusted to tight and burned out that little needle bearing that rides on the basket release shaft and wore one horrible groove on the outside plate. So a word of advice...don't set you clutch to close to releasing, give it some slack. Haha about the kickstarter, that was my biggest pain too. Ten min to fix the clutch, two hours to get the kickstarter right.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:33 PM
Trailblazer

How much was your exhaust and where did you get it? All I've found is DG junk. There is a guy on here that has blueprints to build one out of a chevy truck driveshaft lol.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yea tell me how that works haha and yea my dude told me that he had to wind up the gear with the spring for the kick starter to get it to fire. But im waiting for so.e new tires to come in. Im kind of jacking it up. Putting 25-12-9 in the back and 23-8-10 in front. Is there adjustable shocks for the front like there is on the back? I never looked into it yet but thought id ask

Old 10-15-2015, 11:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

I paid 180 thats with shipping off of ebay. The sob sounds like a helicopter while idling

Old 10-15-2015, 11:53 PM
Trailblazer

yes you can jack the springs up but I wouldnt. I put 22x7-10 in front and 24x10-9 in rear. that gave it the best balance. Much taller and you'll loose power cause of the gear ratios. I went bigger cause I put a 10.25:1 wiseco domed piston and new valve springs when I did a head and bore job. Made first and second gear worthless. Really made a HUGE difference, and did all the work myself except the cylider boring and head job. That I got done at Carquest for less than $60. Got less than $200 in the motor parts and all. Did that last Thanksgiving and its still ripping the farm. My son rides it. I did the motor after he learned how to work a clutch. I was told to break it in like I stole it. Then shut it off when it gets hot. After it cooled give it hell again, theory being the high pressure forces the rings into the hone and they seat better. My son comes every other weekend and after he would ride I could litterally feel it making more power as the engine broke in. These quads are great. i've heard them called the Ak-47 of the four wheelers cause they take the abuse and everything is rebuildable. Plus ebay has a giant stock of used and new good parts.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yea i was thinking of boreing mine to like 250 or 260 idk yet. And yea my 85 230ge quadrunner is still ripping like like its new and neither of mine smoke or leak nothing for being 30 years old. But the only problem i hav ever heard of the 230s having is them being case crackers. From where the rear bearing would blow and sling the chain into the strator cover but hell mine still has the original case saver.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:59 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by lonerider856
Yea tell me how that works haha and yea my dude told me that he had to wind up the gear with the spring for the kick starter to get it to fire. But im waiting for so.e new tires to come in. Im kind of jacking it up. Putting 25-12-9 in the back and 23-8-10 in front. Is there adjustable shocks for the front like there is on the back? I never looked into it yet but thought id ask
Not exactly. The rear has a nut you turn with a spanner wrench (I just made one) and the front has steps that just stiffen the spring. I raised my rear but then lowered it cause the suspension travel was gone. My fronts are on the highest setting cause well it rides best there. To adjust the front just get the front wheels off the groung and use a punch that fits in the hole (youll see) and turn them, May I suggest sprying them with lube first, theyll turn easier if you want to play but you'll want them stiff.

Quick Reply: lt230s has reverse and struggles to go into gear