CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

The DS is overheating (the Fan works)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The DS is overheating (the Fan works)

The DS is overheating, I hope someone can HELP!!!

I never had a problem until the Fan switches quite working a few weeks ago and I wired it to a toggle switch. Once it warms up I turn the fan on and Let it run while riding and it has been getting hot. After I ride for a few hours the red light comes on. I always immediately shut it off and let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes and then it is fine for a few hours. I changed back to the stock end cap and my jetting looks good with the stock Jet and the needle on the richest setting. The plugs look nice and tan.

Could it be the thermostat? Maybe running the fan all the time is cycling it and once in a while it sticks?

I put fresh coolant in it (The stuff that is already pre-mixed 50/50)

I am going to order the Fan switch tomorrow, and had thought about going ahead and ordering the thermostat but it’s like $30.00. If you guys think that could be the problem I will order both.

Thank You

Old 06-14-2004, 01:58 PM
amd
Pro Rider

t-stat could very well be your problem, and since you have it wired to a togle switch it should not run hot. I would say order a t-stat and a switch while your at it just because and try that, if it doesnt cure your problem make sure the water pump is circulating the coolant, thats what I would start with, a t-stat is much cheaper then a water pump. Also make sure you dont have any air pockets in the system this will cause it to run hot also, and since you did fill it up recently that could also be the problem, I would check that first.. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 06-14-2004, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was up in Michigan's upper peninsula last week for two days of hard riding. It was in the high 60's, low 70's. My fan never kicked on, not once. My temp/oil light lit up on two occasions. I think I have an issue with my fan kicking on. I didn't have a problem last summer; it seemed to run every now and then, esp. on warm/humid days.

I've been meaning to run a wire from the battery to check the fan to make sure it's still working. If so, it could be the temp sensor or t-stat. I don't know?

Good Luck!

Old 06-15-2004, 09:48 AM
Pro Rider

I am going at lunch time today to order the thermostat and fan switch. I hope that takes care of it.

Has anyone had a problem with a pluged radiator?

Old 06-19-2004, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider

I think I found the problem, The radiator fims are full of mud. What do I have to do to get the radiator out?

Thanks[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 06-19-2004, 01:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

You have to remove just about everything on the front of the ATV to get the radiator out.

Can you just wash them off really well, or is the mud REALLY caked in there?

Old 06-19-2004, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider

Yea that would certainly cause your problem. To bad ya didn't mention that in the begining. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Just play-n, sorry couldn't resist. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
At least it's a free fix.

Old 06-20-2004, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: TheOz
I was up in Michigan's upper peninsula last week for two days of hard riding. It was in the high 60's, low 70's. My fan never kicked on, not once. My temp/oil light lit up on two occasions. I think I have an issue with my fan kicking on. I didn't have a problem last summer; it seemed to run every now and then, esp. on warm/humid days.

I've been meaning to run a wire from the battery to check the fan to make sure it's still working. If so, it could be the temp sensor or t-stat. I don't know?

Good Luck!

I suppose it would be smart to check my fuses. Well, I did that this morning. Yep, the fuse for the fan was fried. Replace it and wa-la, fan kicks on as it should. I need a drink...

Old 06-21-2004, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider

I always clean the DS after I ride including spraying off the radiator. The problem was that the mud baked into the fins and it looked clean until I shined at light through it.

So if you ride in a lot of mud you might want to take a close look at your radiator.

Old 06-21-2004, 08:32 PM
Trailblazer

How do u get the air pockets out of your coolant