CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

A bad MSD box!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A bad MSD box!

I just got in my msd box yesterday and put it in today.. Well my bike was running great before I put it in and now it will not run at all HUH! After about 30min on the phone with msd and running wires everything was right where it should be!! Tested the spark holy Sh#! dont touch that spark plug HUH!! I cant figure out why it will not start.. So I put my RW box and only one coil back on a vrooom started right up with one coil. So I put the msd back on tested the spark(great spark) plug it back on spark plugs and bang!! back fire and every about 10-15 rovolotions it spuders.. All I can figure is that its wired wrong in the box most of the wire connections are stupid proof!! and msd is stumped.. so I fedex it back to msd to day so I can get it tested and get a new one on sat...

Any Idea's guys?????????????????

Old 06-18-2004, 11:29 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default A bad MSD box!

i'd say bad box if the other cdi fixed it.

Old 06-18-2004, 12:39 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default A bad MSD box!

Maybe the box does not have enough voltage going too it. In automotive applications, a half dead battery will produce similar results. I doubt any big changes were made for the atv application.
Gary

Old 06-18-2004, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default A bad MSD box!

The battery has a full charge made sure of that!!! I did a full test on the trigger and everything is working so it had to be the box... I sent it to them by fedex and they got it by 10:30 but then they lost it .. It cost me 45 bucks to send it to them.. They said that they couldn't send me a new box till they test the old one to see if it was defective.. and if they did they said they'd have to charge me for another box and if the old one was bad they would credit it if not I would have two boxes!!! Well they found my box and sent it to test it and now its too late to have it shipped back to me today. and they will finish it on monday and if it is good or bad send me a new one or the old one back to me by ground if they pay for it but if I want it back by tuesday I have to pay for the overnite... I have to race pikes pike next week starting on wed... I have to dyno the bike on tue before F@$#@$# I'm keeping the rw box out just in case!!!!

Old 06-19-2004, 01:38 AM
Pro Rider
Default A bad MSD box!

Your MSD is most likely faulty. It has not proven to be a reliable unit. If you have one that works good, it will work good. But I have seen alot of failures out of the box. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 06-19-2004, 01:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default A bad MSD box!

DSX,

Have you paid Gary to put a 760 on your DS yet? You can't possibly be running stock still? I mean, if you hang out at Gary's shop much it would seem you just HAVE to step up and get some goodies installed, right?

Old 06-19-2004, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default A bad MSD box!

If there box is bad. Do ya know how good is there costumer service?? And what have you heard or seen on these other boxs?? where they ds650 boxs or just in general?? thanks for the info

Old 06-19-2004, 05:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default A bad MSD box!

seems msd has been around a long time.

Old 06-20-2004, 10:45 PM
Range Rover
Default A bad MSD box!

i've got one and it works great for me, full adjustability without having to send it anywhere.

Old 06-21-2004, 01:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default A bad MSD box!

I think that my msd is bad unless tvi proves me wrong ( we will see soon )