CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

HMF slip on jetting?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HMF slip on jetting?

I finished the jetting on my '05 DS, and just in case anyone else is in a similar situation, here is what I came up with:

Pilot air screw: stock setting
Pilot jet: #45
Needle clip: 5th slot (all the way down)
Main jet: #165

At 5000 ft altitude is starts with just a tickle of the starter button, and your hand completely off of the throttle. Idle is smooth, with no surges and no backfiring when coasting. Throttle response is crisp, and it pulls hard all the way to the rev limiter. Very nice running bike, even if I do say so myself.

Thanks for the help,
Phil.

Old 06-28-2004, 10:22 PM
Trailblazer

I live and ride in Michigan from 600 to 1000 ft and I have the needle on #5 and a DynoJet 185 main. This seems to work pretty good for power. I run with just the spark arrestor I don't have a quiet core. I was at silver lake last weekend for the first major ride with the HMF and had no problems getting around, although paddles would have helped...But that's probably another thread. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-21-2004, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Outer: How do you like your HMF setup? I'm considering making a purchase by the end of the week. What was the stock Main Jet size? Living in MI (500 - 1000ft riding), I need to consider what jet or jets I need to order. Could someone also share "needle clip position" is/means?

Can each of these be tweaked or changed without removing the carb?

* Pilot air screw
* Pilot jet
* Needle clip
* Main jet

Old 07-21-2004, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider

Yes they can all be reached with carb on bike. Does your bike still have the stock brass screws on the carb? If so, be ready for a fight. you can do a search for the exact sizes, but most (me included) are forced to drill out the brass screws (float bowl & diaphragm cover) & replace them with stainless allen heads.

My pilot is now a 45. I run a 170 Mikuni or 185 dynojet. With the clip on the 5th or 4th postion on the rich side. I might be able to run a 172 jet, but the 175 Mikuni was choking my bike out. (me too). My elevation is about 700ft.

But they say the air in OH is better than in MI[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Why must I be obsessed with college football so???

Old 07-21-2004, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

I like my HMF exhaust. This DS is the crispest running, easiest to start ATV I have ever owned. I thought it was loud until I raced my kid on his YFZ, which has an HMF full system on it. My kid got the jump on me off the line, and with his YFZ just a few feet ahead of me for the first part of the race, I could not even hear my DS to know when I should be shifting. So I guess my DS is not too loud, ... but my son's YFZ is.

Can each of these be tweaked or changed without removing the carb?
* Pilot air screw -- Just rotate the carb in its rubber boots so you can see the bottom of the carb, and it is the recessed screw visible on the bottom of the float bowl.

* Pilot jet -- Remove the float bowl and the pilot jet is right next to the main jet. In fact, I removed my pilot jet first because I thought it was the main jet, but when I saw the stamped #45 on it I knew it was the pilot jet and I put it back in.

* Needle clip -- Accessed by removing the top of the carb and pulling out the vacume diaphragm, which has the slide attached to it. The needle is inside the slide.

* Main jet -- Accessed by removing the float bowl on the bottom of the carb. It is the jet that has a #165 on it.

Old 07-21-2004, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider

And on the brass float bowl screw issue ...

I got the screws out of the top of the carb with no problems. And I got three of the screws out of the float bowl with no problem, and was just starting to think I was home free, but that fourth screw absolutely would NOT come out of the float bowl, and I ended up screwing up the head of the screw by trying so hard to get it out. I used a small electric cut off tool with a small cutting blade in it to cut a slot in the head of the phillips screw, thereby turning it into a slotted screw head, and was able to use a good slotted screw driver to remove it. After rejetting I replaced all four float bowl screws with stainless steel 4 mm allen head screws.

Old 07-21-2004, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

With the purchase of the HMF slip-on and riding in the 500 - 1000ft elevation, it looks like I need to install either a Mikuni 170 and 172.5 main and set the needle to the 5th position.

Thanks for all the information Bomb forum members!

As for Ohio air vs. Michigan... Hmm... Can't that wait until the middle of November? Maize and Blue has too many games ahead to start thinking of the boys in Columbus just yet.

Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
the leaders and best
Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan,
the champions of the West!

Old 07-22-2004, 10:04 AM
Trailblazer

Gotta chime in and give a big GOOOO BLUE!!!! I run a 185 on the #5 position with the fuel screw out 2.5 turns from bottom and I mostly ride the Atlanta, Bull Gap, Black Lake, And Silver Lake in Michigan with an HMF slip on and I like it a lot.

And Oz at least you live further north I live near Monroe so I probably see a l lot more people from OH than you do so I'm constantly having to agrue the wolverines vs. those other guys whose name I can't mention [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Anyone who want's to see what an HMF looks like on the DS can Go Here There are a couple of close up shots of my Yellow HMF.

Old 07-22-2004, 05:17 PM
Pro Rider

my HMF is polished, plus I have the old logo style. I'm "throwback" that way [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I have a pic in my profile pics. In fact, it's even after the first update. I also had the original HMF way back in 01.

Old 07-26-2004, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

Based on Bombardier forum member input, I ordered the HMF Slip-On with the QuiteCore insert. I paid the extra $20 for the powder coat model (yellow). That should match the X color scheme well. I also ordered the Mikuni main jet 165 & 170. I'll jet to 170, needle clip in position 5 to start. I'll also work to get the screws out of the float bowl and purchase the stainless steel 4 mm allen head screws.

Thanks guys (and gals?).

Quick Reply: HMF slip on jetting?