CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Next Step vs YFZ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next Step vs YFZ??

OK..I know this has been discussed in the past..but here goes it.

I just ran my stock DS today with my new moded end cap vs my buddy on his all-stock YFZ450. The results were good. Before the cap, he was jumping me out of the hole quite easily, but today I could hang right with him thru 1-3rd and then start to pull him in the upper gears. I'm OK with this...but he's getting ready to pipe his YFZ, and from what I've seen and heard about piped YFZ's...I'm gonna need some more mods to pull him.

Question..will a CDI and ported intake really make a difference? Or I'm I going to have to go deeper..say aftermarket carb to stay in front. Or..is it going to take internal engine mods to beat a piped YFZ?

He's was giving me a hard time saying.."All I have to do is uncork the 450, and its bye-bye"

Is this true?

Old 06-27-2004, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider

If he is any kind of drag racer, yes it's true.
In order to keep up or stay ahead you will have to go to an aftermarket carb and ported intake.
If he does the cam mod also. Then you better be ready to spend some serious money in order to stay in front of him. Remember the yfz is only 350 lbs. The DS is at least 130 lbs heavier. HP to weight is on the side of the yfz. Consider this. The yfz comes out of the box with what we call stage 2 mods for the DS. You would have to have the same mods + to keep up. I think thats about 1500 bucks in mods for the DS. It's been a while so it could be a little less or a little more.

Old 06-27-2004, 01:37 AM
Pro Rider

Give MRHP a call and get his carb. HANDS down it's the best carb for the DS PERIOD. I had them all (single carb that is) and none of them left me more satisfied than this one. Yep it's money but it will wake up your bike. It sure did mine. Ask him about your YFZ troubles he is a ATV drag racer he can help you as best as he can. You may have to sink a little more $$$ than your YFZ bud but eagle is right.... power to weight ratio is on the Yammie's side.

Old 06-27-2004, 01:44 AM
Trailblazer

after all that said,...after the days end...its nice to know,..your not as beat up has him do to the "nice" ride on your cush rocket!!!!

Old 06-27-2004, 01:47 AM
Pro Rider

Amen brotha[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-27-2004, 10:06 AM
Pro Rider

You got that right!!! That YFZ beats you to death!

Old 06-28-2004, 09:24 AM
sam
Pro Rider

15 tooth front sprocket (get your rpms up faster) Cdi (to keep you from bouncing off the limmiter and slowing you down) then carb ( to kick some AZZ[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] JMO keep us informed. also your giving up some serious weight differance practice you starts keep that front end down. If you pull him off the starts hes not gona catch you.
Sam

Old 06-28-2004, 09:31 AM
Pro Rider

Sam... I noticed you have the 60% clutch springs. Did you have a slipping clutch with the extra power you added and if so, was it a very noticeable slip..or just a minor slip?

Old 06-28-2004, 10:07 AM
sam
Pro Rider

yes I was getting slippage off the line, the tires were spinning wildly off the line. So I put the clutch springs in and then I had trouble keeping the front end down[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. some dont like the little tougher pull but its really not that bad.
jetting wise where you at? what ran good for me was 172.5 main needle clip on bottem, and air box lid on. O couple of hose clams on intake tube.
these mod will cost you maybe $150 or so but they will be big diff in performance
Sam

Old 06-28-2004, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider

My friend has a 450R. I rode it for a short while. I can't imagine riding a Yammy 450 for hours if as they claim the Honda is the better ride of the two!!! Geez is it rough. But I guess they are designed to be short course racers. My jetting is a tad off & my tires spin too much now, but we raced. I won, but not by much. These new 450s get it! I bet the Suzuki 450 will haul too. It's weird riding it though. It doesn't "feel" near as powerful as a DS. Yet it's right there in a race. Kinda like a big block small block difference I guess.
I'll take the 'Bomb myself. Though a cool 2nd quad would be the 450R. or the Predator or the V-force or the DVX400....... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Next Step vs YFZ??