CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

another front tire question

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 08:32 PM
Hez
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another front tire question

I know this subject has probably been beaten to death, BUT I was searching through the forum and couldn't really get a straight answer based on what i found. So my question is this. I am looking into front sand tires and have it boiled down to "bald" or "razorbacks". I am only a recreational rider im not into drag racing. I want to have fun in the dunes not have to work to move around the DS. What are your experiences with these two types of tires and what do you recommend? Also what size rims should i run for front and rear?

Thanks,
Ryan

Old 06-28-2004, 08:33 PM
Hez
Range Rover

ANYBODY?

Old 06-28-2004, 08:41 PM
Range Rover

If you are just recreation riding. Save your money and run your dirt tires up front. They do just fine. I have 23" razr ll's I run them desert, dunes, and cinders. No problem.

Old 06-29-2004, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

I have never used bald front sand tires, but I have tried both single ribbed front sand tires and the dual ribbed front sand tires (Sand Stars), and the dual ribbed front sand tires work better. Even the single ribbed front sand tires worked better than knobbie tires though. The paddle tires you are running in back will make a difference as well. If you have V-paddles, or Sand Star rear tires, you will not need sand tires up front as much as when you have staight paddles in back. The straight paddles hook up better for straight line use like drag racing and hillshooting, but they have a tendency to try and keep going in a straight line.

Old 06-29-2004, 03:14 AM
Hez
Range Rover

Is it better to use the stock rim size or go with bigger rims with a bigger offset?

Old 06-29-2004, 08:34 AM
Pro Rider

I use the original Razorback manufactured by Sand Tires Unlimited. The tires seems to be made of better quality rubber and the flotation is better. I put them on 10 X 8 rims that I had to pay a special fee to get the DS 650 bolt pattern. The front tires performed better than my expectations with the one inch wider rim.

Old 06-29-2004, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second the dual ribbed Sand Stars. I just picked up a set mounted on 8x10" rims from Rocky Mountain for around $135. Haven't been able to use them yet but I have heard nothing but good things in regards to their turning ability. I had a hell of a time turning with my stock nobbies up front and 22" Haulers on the rear. That should change.

Old 06-29-2004, 08:47 PM
Range Rover

Just curious, what kind of problems are you guys having with knobbies up front. I know alot of people run sand tires up front for less weight, and because they don't through as much sand as knobbies. But with the fenders still on the DS I don't have a problem with the sand flying up. I too like Hez wrote, ride just for recreation, and noticed alot of people run knobbies up front at Glamis. I'm asking this as advice, not to start a war about tires. I just don't know what I should be looking to improve on by spending the money for new tires. I don't seem to have any problems with my set up right now.

Old 06-29-2004, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

i dont have, nor have i run front sand tires...but with sand stars in the rear, and stock ohtsus in the front, steering is really pigish on the DS. (is a chore to turn/powerslide) when i ran stock rears its not a problem because i can just spin them out easy enough...but with the paddles wanting to track straight, it was like a war with the handle bars. (if we go back to some big dunes out west i will def. be getting some sand star fronts)

Old 06-30-2004, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: couchonwheels
Just curious, what kind of problems are you guys having with knobbies up front. I know alot of people run sand tires up front for less weight, and because they don't through as much sand as knobbies. But with the fenders still on the DS I don't have a problem with the sand flying up. I too like Hez wrote, ride just for recreation, and noticed alot of people run knobbies up front at Glamis. I'm asking this as advice, not to start a war about tires. I just don't know what I should be looking to improve on by spending the money for new tires. I don't seem to have any problems with my set up right now.
With 22" Extreme Haulers on the rear I found it very hard to turn/powerslide as low speed. The front end just wants to push/plow through the sand rather than bite. I will have a report on the front Sand Stars in a few weeks when I head down to Pismo.

Quick Reply: another front tire question