CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Ball Joint Removal.....need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 03:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball Joint Removal.....need advice

Just got off the phone with Ricky Stator ordering replacement Ball Joints. Those guys are great.

Old 06-29-2004, 08:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

the loctite you use is a retaining compound made for locking shafts and such, apposed to threadlock. there is also a green loctite for threads - its the high temp kind for exhaust studs and such. but the shaft retaining compound is different - made for holding tapered shafts in reemed holes. don't rely on color alone, also be sure to read the description...

Old 06-29-2004, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

I saw where you said that you removed your ball joints, did the tool remove the whole thing from the A-arm or just seperate the joint leaving part of it in the arm to be pressed out. I ask because I need to replace one of mine since the boot ripped. Also, do you have the part number or know if there is another brand/kind of ball joint that will fit on the stock arms of the DS. Thanks alot for any info you can provide.
Joe

Old 06-29-2004, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

did you also need a press to remove the ball joints ?

Old 06-29-2004, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

Cain has a valid question.. I want to press the whole thing out of of the a-arms. Will that tool do just that?

Starting to wonder maybe it would be cheaper and more ideal to get aftermarket a-arms. I've seen a set on a DS and they said made a world of difference. I really don't want to widen the machine any wider.

Old 06-29-2004, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

No just push them out of the spindel

Old 06-29-2004, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

I am in the same boat as entomber I ride in Fl and if my DS gets any wider I am screwed but I hate to pay $95.00 for just 1 ball joint just cause it says Moog Problem Solver on it. I too considered new A-arms to remedy the prob. Are there any other ball joints that will fit in the stock A-arms ? I know Moog makes joints for autos so if anyone knows...... does the joint on the DS also go into a car? if so what make and model so I can cross reference the part number to find a less expensive ball joint to fit the stock A-arms. Thanks
Cain

Old 06-29-2004, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah 95 bucks for a ball joint is kind of exhorbant. If you were to replace all 4 that would be close I believe to a whole new set of a-arms.

Old 06-29-2004, 11:40 PM
Elite Pro Rider

if you can get a part number go to napa they have books on reference numbers, to cross over.

Old 06-30-2004, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider

I haven't tried Napa but did try discount auto and they said they would not be able to cross reference from an ATV number. They said that if it was also on an auto they could do it that way , but I would need to know the part number or the make and model of the auto that it also fit on.
When some of you were talking about pushing the joint out of the spindle. why do you do that ? My prob is that the boot ripped, but I can't get another boot unless I get the whole joint. Just wondering.

Quick Reply: Ball Joint Removal.....need advice