CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

time to adjust suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 12:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default time to adjust suspension?

when i got my DS i read in the manual about setting ride height/sag and got it pretty close.

It is not about 9 months later, and it seems as if my suspension should be a bit softer....

Where do i start? (dont know if JUST the rear needs attention or if the front would benefit as well)
First off i weigh 230 lbs (w/o riding gear [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] )

What all should i adjust/check?
i have found a few DS sites that say adjust this and that, but since suspension is pretty delicate im afraid ill screw somthing up and it will "never be the same" lol

Front/rear dampening
front/rear sag
front/rear rebound

does anyone have a site that shows a break down of how to get suspension set up well, or have the time to explain it to me? i have been into rc cars for years, so am constantly adjusting oil/springs, but want to make sure i have a better idea of what im doing before i go at it.
(i do plan to write down exactly where everything was/how much i changed it/if it helped)
but i dont know what i should try to adust and how much to adjust it. If i adjust the rear dampening (making it softer) do i need to re adjust sag, or mess with the spring? just stuff like that.

Sorry for the long/confusing post
Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 06-30-2004, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider

if you can tell me exactly what happening I might be able to help.
is it kicking you on bumps?
are you swaping the rear throw the bumps?

Old 06-30-2004, 08:40 PM
Pro Rider

it seems as if the whole suspension setup is a bit rough.... i dont want to make it too soft so that i bottom it, but i feel i should be able to adjust it to get it a bit more comfortable on trails.
Yes trying to go keep a good speed through the whoops, if i dont get into a rythmn (which usually i cant lol) then the rear hops and will bounce side to side. (too stiff? spring too tight?)

Old 06-30-2004, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider

it is kicking me in the ****.Hard enough to knock me off

Old 07-01-2004, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

Ya I was wondering the same thing... I hit a little bump the other day.... and the back end shot me up and over the handle bars and I got run over. It hurts....

Oh and another thing, the rear shock ressie...... a buddy of mine thought it would work if he put more pressure in there on me, it used to have about 20 some odd lbs, and he gave it a shot from the compressor and it hit like 100 or so. Is this bad? what kind of gas needs to be in there? and will the pressure difference make a difference?

Thanks

Oh and roost, if your *** end jumps, it's your rebound I'm sure.... It's rebounding too fast

Old 07-01-2004, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider

soften the compression and slow the rebound, if that not enought soften the preload also.

Old 07-01-2004, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

ok, so compression is adjusted by the allen key at the bottom of the rear shock correct? (which way to soften it?)
how do i slow the rebound?
how do i soften the preload? (im pretty sure i just adjust the colar above the spring? how do i get the pressure off the spring to move it?)

Old 07-01-2004, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider

compression is on the rezzie, and rebound is on the bottom of the shock.
to take cmpression off the spring, jack up the rear of the quad and loosen colars.

also turning IN the screws will will stiffen the compression and slow the rebound, and vise verser

when ajusting try 2 or 3 clicks at a time.

Old 07-01-2004, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider

And how do you get at that adjusting screw at the bottom of the shock? When I played with mine, I damn near took out the shock to do it, So thats kinda a pain to set and test all the time if u know what I mean. Whats some hints here?

Old 07-01-2004, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

not sure of the newer ds's, but my 2000 had a hole in the side of the swingarm all you needed was a long flat head screw driver.

Quick Reply: time to adjust suspension?