CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Has anyone had main bearing problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 09:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone had main bearing problems

I think my crank bearing is bad, i have a major loss in power and gold flakes in my oil. I need advice on what to do, can u replace the bearing or do u have to do a whole bottom end rebuild. how much $ will this run me.

Old 07-07-2004, 01:37 AM
Range Rover

i've never heard of anyone having major bearing problems, and as far as i know engine bearings are not made of plain brass, brass would be the gold color you speak of, hows yer oil pressure? has the red light ever come on while running? and as for brass in the engine? maybe off of a thrust bearing of some sort, find an exploded drawing and see whats what in the engine, mine's never been apart so i don't know where the brass parts are in the motor, maybe someone else who's had the engine apart might have an insight into this, i would'nt label it a main bearing till yer sure, but brass is brass and a motor thats broke in should'nt be shedding particles anymore like a new motor does... good luck and keep us updated.. josh....

Old 07-07-2004, 11:59 AM
Trailblazer

thats ggood info, i thught it was he bearing because of the loss of power. Does anybody know what is brass in the motor?

Old 07-07-2004, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

the crank bearing are brass bushings that are oil feed . The 2000 models where not as well lubricated as the newer models. The newer bushing has a recess in the center of the piece. Bombardier automatically send the newer design when you order a replacement. I haven't heard of a lower end failure unless the engine was starved of oil? How does your oil strainer look at the bottom of the reservoir? It is pricey unless you do the work yourself. Do not ride the bike any longer until you can determine the source of the problem. YOu don't want to score the crank and end up having to replace that too!
Good luck

Pull the spark plugs out and try hand cranking the motor, it should turn fairly easily except the point where your turning the cams, if it's real hard to turn, I be looking at the crank shaft bushings.

Old 07-07-2004, 10:09 PM
Trailblazer

I checked the oil strainer and it was pretty dirty, i wish i knew it was there before. My oil level was at the bottom line so i guess my oil got hot and that might of caused it. Whenever i noticed the loss in power it seemed like it was hot and when i reved it up smoke would come out of the crankcase vent tube. It will still run fine with no strange noises but i guess i take it to get it looked at because i dont know anything about the botttom end