CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

My raptors gonna whoop your DS (I think)!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2000, 01:12 PM
jim
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think I would try to beat a modified DS w/ a stock Raptor. The modified DS does around 90mph & the person riding it chickened out to go any faster but they said it could. Now thats about 20mph faster than I would ever want to go on a quad but thats just me. Plus the suspension of the DS is great on big jumps wheras the Raptor only has 9" & by the looks of it is very tippy looking even if they say it isn't. The only bug negative of the DS is the extra weight.
Jim

Old 08-17-2000, 01:47 PM
Pro Rider

There's been a guy posting on www.bombardierds650.com's board who's drag racing his DS. I believe it's mostly stock (with perhaps exception to a K&N air filter), changed the gear ratio significantly and is topping out at nearly 90mph in the 1/4 mile.

Old 08-17-2000, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider

They have been trying to be really politcally correct about the tippiness on the Raptor. The magazines have mentioned that the ride is "exciting", which is what I predicted that they would say two months before they reviewed it by the way, "You just need to use more body english" and other comments that refer to it's stability or lack there of.

The pictures show it about three to four inches shorter and narrower than the Banshee and now they are saying in the reviews that both the Banshee and the Raptor do about 72mph. Heck, my 350X three wheeler just about does that!

They suggest wider a-arms and maybe a longer trailing arm....

Well, there goes your fantastic, futuristic aluminum (upper only!) a-arms and trailing arm (with steel componentes welded on!). But, that's ok, because it's still a Yamaha and "everyone" knows that Yamaha rule in the ATV market. (I couldn't even keep a straight face typing that!)

If Honda would do something with the 400EX to make it competitive with the DS650, I would consider getting something from them again. At least it comes in Yellow know, that's a plus! I guess they wanted to attract some of the attention from all of those riders of DS650's, albeit only temporarily "oh, that's only a 400EX". :-)

Laters,
CRT_Leech

Old 08-17-2000, 07:26 PM
Trailblazer

big r,
Boy I sure am embarrased. You sure are smart. All I meant is that yamaha is going to start making a complete line of atv products. Do you think that yamaha is just going to make performance accessories for just the raptor. Hardly, I surprized a person with such a high level of intelligence such as yourself could figure that out. I guess some people are just book smart (nerds) such as yourself, and some people have some common sence that they apply to their everyday life.

Old 08-17-2000, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

Guys, I'm curious as to what method you use to measure the speed of your quads???

And yes, that Raptor looks way too tippy.

Old 08-18-2000, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider

Some have used GPS units, others, like myself have used dead reckoning and 20+ years (since age 5) of experience riding /driving vehicles of all sorts. I've been riding street bikes for almost 17 years and you get a feel for how fast you are going from wind resistance and visual cues.

The magazines and one or two others have also used radar devices.

I intend to try a GPS on my next ride.

Old 08-18-2000, 02:21 PM
Range Rover

Truckwasher, You called me a NERD I hope it didnt take to much of that "common sense" to come up with that one. Anyway you didnt say Yamaha mods you said your dealer told you RAPTOR mods such as pipes, silencers, Rad vaves, Reeds, OH and whatnot. so I wont mess with you just tell your dealer he is a DUMBA$$

87 suzuki 230
94 warrior
99 Grizzly
00 DS650 "my NERD mobile"

Old 08-18-2000, 04:37 PM
Range Rover

Scooby, I will be the friend that Shollz will race.I just have the pipe and rev. box. And K&N filter(inside air box). I still have the stock carb, and i am runnin 180 main jet, it seems to be right. I have 22 inch Hole shots. I have not yet changed gearing. (by the way, what do you recomend). He is right, we will see who is the king of the drag strip, and MX track.

Old 08-18-2000, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

I said just about the exact thing you are saying here a while ago and I got jumped by a bunch of people. I guess you get sensitive when you have money down.

Old 08-19-2000, 03:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I can't recommend gearing unless I know what type of riding you want to optimize the gearing for. Also your weight is needed. The drag race simulation I ran used a 150lb rider, stock motor, 22" tires, stock gearing and came up with the following with optimum shifting to reach max speed in minimum amount of ET:

0-60 6.30 (4th gear)
1/8 9.58@71.57
1000 12.58@80.90
Top 13.99@83.01 (7700 RPM)
1/4 (Rev Limited)

Quick Reply: My raptors gonna whoop your DS (I think)!