CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

notchy shifting after oil change

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 09:42 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default notchy shifting after oil change

i just replaced the oil in my 03 ds650 (what a pain in the b*lls.) except for that it went smoothly. little bit of metal shavings on the magnet on the drain plug. but its just the machines 2nd oil change so im not really worried about it. i used bombardier fully synthetic 5w-40 oil. 11 bucks a qt. ouch.
now after the oil change is all done i took it for a little spin and pulled it back into the garage and i noticed that it was tough to get it into neutral. i adjusted the clutch. i put it in neutral then shifted down to first and it goes into first smoothly except for the bike will kinda jump a little. when i go to shift back to neutral again it takes a lot of force to get it into N. and sometimes it went to 2nd and i had to click it down a little to N. Is this normal? i know shifting without moving a little is tough but it doesnt feel right now.

Old 07-11-2004, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider

same thing seems to be happening to mine [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] if i could help ya i would but i dont know why it does it either ?

Old 07-14-2004, 10:15 PM
Range Rover

TTT nobody has any ideas?

Old 07-15-2004, 03:38 AM
Pro Rider

You might have to experiment with different types of oil. A friend of mine riding a DS, also said he found that some oils mess with the gear changes. He switched to a different brand and it fixed the problem.

Old 07-15-2004, 03:31 PM
Range Rover

even with bombardier brand fully synthetic oil???? its made for the damn quad.

jeff

Old 07-16-2004, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't sweat it too much after all what really counts is that it shifts smooth on the fly...right?. With synthetic oil it should do that just fine.
I would be willing to bet that your problem will go away afer you get the oil good and hot. Whats happening is, the new oil- nice and thick as it is when its cold - creates a film between the clutch plates which creates a hydraulic like drag effect that forces the driven plates to turn with the drive plates after you pull the clutch in. The effect is similar to the drag caused by an unadjusted clutch that won't fully disengage. The thinner the oil the less drag effect between the plates, the easier to shift while sitting still. The oil should breakdown slightly after a couple rides and the problem will be less noticable.

Old 07-16-2004, 10:43 PM
Range Rover

ya i should of rode it for a while after i did it. I just was very aggrevated after spending like 3 hours doing a damn oil change. im going to take it for a nice ride on sunday so we'll see how well it goes.

thanks for the very good answer to my questiong JSSDS.

jeff