CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Another suspension set up question

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another suspension set up question

I have talked to a couple of suspension guys today. From my experience with the ds, you set the sag approx 3-4" and go from there. My setup may be a little different, +1 +1 a arms + 4 swingarm. I have elka rec. quad rate shocks up front, and a stock rear shock. I set it up like this and my back is much higher.
I called Elka, they told me to measure in front of the front motor mounts at the bottom of the frame, and behind the footpegs bottom of the frame, it should be level. approx 9 to 11" clearance. So I cranked back down my rear shock to be almost level with the front... I had to crank the front up..Now my rear shock is back to having 3" free sag and it goes down 1.5" when I sit on it, but that is a total of 4.5" ...Another shock guy told me I should only have about 1" free sag, and 2 more while sitting on it. The way it is the rear is still to soft, although I didn't ride it yet, I know it will bottom out easy..anybody measure their DS to see if it is level? Any input would be great.

Old 07-15-2004, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are your front shocks SSD? Has your rear shock been reworked?

Old 07-15-2004, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is SSD ? The rear shock has not been reworked, the guy at elka said they won't rework them, they want you to spend 9 something for a new one. I would like to have them reworked, that is why I was calling people today. I would like to get it done local,. but they have not worked on DS shocks, or quads for the most part. I like the fact that you can send them to Elka or TCS and give them some info and they can hook you up. the local guy wants to know the angle of the shocks, where all it needs improving ect. They may not get it close..I didn't want to send my shocks to another country or the other side of the country right now, I just got my motor back after 3+ months so I don't want 3-4 weeks downtime right now.

Old 07-15-2004, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SSD would be Elkas version of no preload. Your rear shock is more than likely undersprung now with the extra leverage of 4in to the swingarm. You can send it to Todd at TCS or Precision Concepts and they will to a good job for you. Both work on DS shocks allot.