CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

No Haulers in SoCal

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 03:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Haulers in SoCal

If you want 8" wheels on a DS650 you need to get some of Mr. HPs hubs re-drilled with the Honda or Yamaha bolt pattern, then you are free to get 8" rims, not to mention his machined hubs are a lot lighter than stockers.

I'd have to second the idea of the STU Padla Brats.

mystereid,

I've been wondering at what point it would make sense to go to the 18 paddle stagger cut Mini Desert Traks. I was speaking with Joe @ FSS and he said those should have a lot more traction, but so few people have them it is hard to say how much more.

Old 07-17-2004, 03:12 AM
Pro Rider

my bad i didn't realize you couldn't put an 8'' rim on a ds well i guess you learn something new every day.

Old 07-17-2004, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider

I have a set of 22x11x10 - 10 paddle extremes available if anybody is interested pm me

Old 07-17-2004, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

Do a search and get the # for Jim's Sand Toys in Waynoka Ok.He is the biggest sand tire dealer in the mid-west.

Old 07-18-2004, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

Blackhawk, My tires are doing so well right now I really wonder if there could be anything better. I don't have a traction problem that I know of, possibly in other sand conditions or dirt? If I had a longer swingarm I might get away with a stronger launch but with a stock engine it may bog the motor too much. I went out a couple weeks ago and I was on the tail of 2 690 Raptors[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. Like I said, stock engine and carb and I still have a few ideas left to try. How do you like your tires so far and how do they compare to your other DS?

Old 07-19-2004, 03:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

mystereid,

I never ended up getting the Padlas - I just couldn't get time to go down there & do the switch. I'm quite sure it will happen, just a matter of when. I think I may try and wait until after I can take my DS back to Dumont & really do a good comparison of it on the hill there - although I know the answer to one part of the equasion: I've got so much tire spin that I am loosing A LOT of speed to that alone. I've got so much tire spin my clutch is still un-harmed even after breaking the 50 HP mark! (And people talk about the clutch slipping after doing anything more than a pipe, and sometimes not even that much!) I think the answer is I'm going to get the clutch READY / Upgraded for the added strain before I do any tires - especially since I've got a good guess the extra strain will kill it anyhow. I spoke with Eric / Mr. HP and he recomends a different clutch rather than the tighter springs, thus keeping the stock pull. This setup sounds really nice to me since this machine will likely eventually be my Fiance's (I hope she is my wife by then) ATV and keeping things close to stock is a very good thing. Then she'll have a 50-ish HP DS, and I can really tear into the 2001 and get something 'fun' when I actually have money. Oh yeah, after the house, and a new car and who knows. But it'll happen darn it! Are you thinking of making it to DS Days this year? I'm really hoping to make it up to that & I think I have a good chance. With any luck we might get a carpool or at least a caravan going from down here in Southern California, all the way up there.

By the way - your comments about the Padlas make them sound REALLY appealing.

Old 07-19-2004, 05:13 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

Blackhawk, I know what you mean about clutch pull, I wanted to keep mine light enough for my wife to ride. I went with around 20% stiffer springs and it doesn't seem bad at all but when I ran 15-50w oil the clutch would still slip if abused.
I see people are in a scramble to come up with the last of the Extremes and just thought I'd offer my advice on a better option. I guess it comes from my dad being a teacher, I'm always offering advice, although it is seldom taken. I lined up against a row of 7 or 8 Bajas and Baja X's the other day, that was pretty neat with the hill covered in DS's. I tried to offer gearing advice but don't think I got through. The closest guy had an X and was about 60lbs lighter. He could stay within a couple bike lengths. The others were waaay back. To me, If someone smokes me that bad, I kind of want to know how it happened!
Oh, Joe Goodhand was really trying to sell me on the .125 wall rims but I'm glad I stuck with .160s, somebody took off halfway up the hill and cut me off, I missed him but he turned into my rear tire and knocked me sliding completely sideways cup the hill. It was a big hit that would have folded a thinner rim, I'm not sure how the rim I have even took it.

Old 07-19-2004, 06:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

FYI, Skat Trak can make you a tire simialr to the Padla Brats. Its a 3/4 width paddle staggered staggered like the Padla Brats.

Edit: sorry I was thinking of the mini desert tracs[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 07-19-2004, 09:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ward,

I think the main problem with the Skat Traks is supply right now, not so much getting the right kid of tire.

Any of you guys seen the Skat Trak Desert Storm? That has got to be one of the ugliest tires I've ever seen.

mystereid,

I know what you mean about getting beat and wanting to know what happened - unless some guy like Mario (Annihilater) pulls up next to you, then you know he has got dollars into his machine and it is not so much of a 'fine tuning' question as it is raw horsepower. In my current state I whoop on other machines pretty good once in a while, some of the guys will ask what is up and then decide that it is too much work to get things dialed in. (It is amazing how many DS650 owners have never changed jetting, even after adding a pipe!) I'd like to think all DS owners will get their machine dialed in as it should be so they can represent a little better, but oh well, I guess that is what DS Days is for.

Glamis / FSW is pretty amusing, I like watching the races from the top of the hill better though - you get a small amount of wind to keep you cool - down at the bottom I thought I was going to pass out! I think Glamis might be more amusing though for all that is available when you aren't riding as opposed to Sand Mountain, but the thought of seeing that many DS650s together just sounds REALLY cool even though it will be a LONG drive!