CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

EFI how many are running it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 06:04 PM
Hez
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EFI how many are running it?

I have an opportunity to make some good money this fall Semester and I have read stuff about the Lectron carbs and such. I am not one who wants to worry about sand particles or sticking slides. I want "honda reliablity" when it comes to that stuff.

I was curious to see how many people are running the EFI setup (no turbo)?

Also, how long has this setup been out?

Is it proven to be reliable?

Will it be worth it to add to a stock DS with only an endcap?

ALSO what is this I hear about a 46mm FCR carb? anyone running this either?

Thansk for your help/opinions.
P.S. I do not want to do any internal eng. work.
Hez

Old 07-31-2004, 02:23 AM
Hez
Range Rover

no one?

Old 07-31-2004, 10:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

i know of aprox 20 setups that are running fuel injection and so far what i have seen its doing good. But it is new still so if your not too adventurous id say wait and see how it gose for the rest of us [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] give it another six months and someone will have a complaint by then[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-31-2004, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run the EFI with turbo but I also ran it without the turbo. In my opinion if you wont it for the reliability and versatility (i.e. no jets to mess with) it is the way to go. I chose EFI because I race my quad and I am not real good at jetting. I race desert and the EFI has never missed a lick. I have road in mexico and at 7000 feet it just runs good all the time.

+’s
1. Doesn’t flood out (ever, not even after a crash)
2. No Jets to mess with
3. Better performance

-‘s
1. Mapping can be tricky (if you have lots of mods) stock map is good
2. You inherit a fuel pump

Old 07-31-2004, 11:26 AM
Hez
Range Rover

BigDog:

Does the computer compensate for altitude or do you notice a performance decrease at altitude?

Thanks

Old 07-31-2004, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider

The computer adjusts the air/fuel mixture just like a car.

Old 07-31-2004, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

The limiting factor on an engine (an air pump) is how much air you can get through it. You see all kinds of carb shapes and designs, but some just will not flow as much as others, even though they are supposed to be the same size. Even when properly jetted, some will not make as much power, because they won't flow as much air at all rpm and throttle positions.

Once we get the air through it, it's just a matter of metering a small amount of fuel with it at all rpm and throttle settings. Some carbs are better than others at metering fuel and self compensation.

Fuel Injection is as good as the equipment, the programming, and the programmer of the system. It must flow enough air, have correct nozzle location, have good monitoring equipment, flexible programming, and someone who knows what the engine wants and how to program it. If these bases are covered, you should have a good setup.

Unfortunately, if you ride in sand and don't have good protection at all possible openings of the fuel delivery system of your choice, you are going to have reliability problems no matter what you use.

Trending Topics

Old 07-31-2004, 07:00 PM
Hez
Range Rover

gottcha,

what about the 46mm FCR type carb. i read from a previous post that aside from the Lectron someone made another one that fits?

Old 07-31-2004, 07:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

BIGDOGAZ don't you mean it don't flood even after you crashed three times in a row [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 07-31-2004, 07:30 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: AZSAND
BIGDOGAZ don't you mean it don't flood even after you crashed three times in a row [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Yea..The only good thing about that hole ordeal was that I didn’t have to crank on the quad to get it started LMAO…………you don’t happen to have any descent shock do you? I don’t think the new peps are going do be done before the next race so im looking for a used set I can valve to get me by.

Quick Reply: EFI how many are running it?