CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

PAST OR PRESENT OUTLANDER OWNERS: or someone who knows about it

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004 | 01:19 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default PAST OR PRESENT OUTLANDER OWNERS: or someone who knows about it

Hello, i want to know what kind or problems youve had with your outlander if youve had any problems at all. Any thing at all, from smallest to biggest problem. Also how many miles do you have and the pros and consl. THank you.

Old 07-31-2004 | 11:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

The outlander is a great machine. I've had mine for over a year now, (350 miles) and have not had one problem. I did hear of some people have a clanking noise start to happen, but there was an update to the rear swing arm and that's it.

A lot of people bash this machine because they think it looks ugly, I think it looks awesome.

If you really compare this machine to others, you will see how good of a utility atv it is. It's just as fast and powerful as most the 500's out there, if not more. It has true all wheel drive, if one wheel slips, the others with traction will use more power. I've had to pull a pretty heave load on a frozen lake with no snow and the outlander worked like a champ.

Unless you need the power of a 600, 650, or 700 cc machine, the outlander is a great atv. I haven't heard of any other problems with others who own the outlander, and the rotax engine is one of the best out there.

There are many reasons this machine won atv of the year in 2003.

Ole

When I bought mine, they were including a free 3 year warranty.

Old 08-01-2004 | 11:05 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Ole1, Hows the clutch engagement? Ive heard the clutch takeup is a bit abrupt at low speeds.
Hows the ride? I hear the polaris has the best ride, well soft anyway, Im looking for something with a softer ride, because my old back is acheing after a days ride. Have you riden a polaris... can you compare the two?
Can the outlander be shifted between 2wd and 4wd on the fly? Does the tranny make any unpleasant noises going into the different ranges? I know the polaris can make some real bad clashing noises.
Have you pulled any trailers with it?

Old 08-02-2004 | 02:21 AM
Trailblazer

I've had only 2 issues with mine. Clanking clutch or Engine brake and clicking from rear suspension. Dealer fixed the clicking. Claimed the clutch noises are normal. Also I have to rock the quad a little sometimes to get the shifter to change. I have read about people having these problems.

clanking from clutch or engine brake
clicking/clanking from rear suspension
shifter hanging up(rock the quad a little)
fogged up guage pod
leaky/blown struts
voltage regulator failing(early models had the regulator up front by the radiator, new ones relocated to the rear)
excessive heat melting fuel shield and or boiling gas in the tank
front drive shaft seal leaking
brake pads have short life

I did alot of research before buying my Outlander and was convinced that they were good units. Now I don't know.

Old 08-02-2004 | 11:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

The clutch engagement is fine, even when towing something. The ride is the best there is, much better than polaris, and I have driven them. You can shift from 2wd to 4wd on the fly, but you don't need to. If you leave it in 4wd, it will be 2wd unles a tire starts to slip.

The tranny makes no noises that I can hear and it tows quite a bit. If you look at Bomb's web-site, you'll get all the specs, then you can compare it to the polaris and then ride them both. I think the outlander will tow about 1,200 pounds according to Bombardier, but I think it can tow a lot more than that.

The reasons I bought this atv were because of the soft ride, true all wheel drive, power, rotax engine and 3 year warranty. This is also a maintentce free machine.

Hope this helps

Old 08-02-2004 | 11:16 AM
Trailblazer

MY BROTHER purchased a 2004 Outlander 330 4 x 4 this past Christmas, about 300 miles and o problems. I purchased the same ATV this past Memerial Day, about 200 miles, 0 problems. These machines seem to get better and better after the break-in. We both came from Polaris. My only problem is an oil filter that cost 10.00 and the Bombardier oil is 10.50 per quart. These 330's run strong, about 52-54 mph. They seem very well put together, very solid. They are night and day from the MAgnums we use to ride and have much better features than the Sportsman. As for ride compared to the Sportsman if think they both ride very nice, the Outlander is a better built machine. Spent a day over my July 4th vacation ridding with a 500 Sportsman and a 660 Grizzly, my 330 went everywhere they did.

Old 08-11-2004 | 11:02 AM
BK
Pro Rider

I have had my 400 since November and have a little over 600 miles. I have ridden it in some pretty rocky and rough areas and have come away very happy. I have yet to find anything the bigger machines could do that I can't do. It climbs like you wouldn't believe. It goes thru the mud great even with the stock tires and when you put mud tires on it is incredible. The ride is on par with the Sportsman but it feels more sporty. At first I would find myself bracing for a bone crunching bump and then hardly feel it. It will be a lot easier on your back. It has a more comfortable seat than any atv I have ever been on. It has great power for a 400. I hardly ever use low range except when I need to crawl over some serious terrain at low speed. The clutch engagement is pretty quick and if you are used to something like a Polaris that takes quite a bit of throttle to engage, it will feel abrupt. On the other hand when you get used to it, everything else feels very slow to engage. I would highly recomend this machine. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-12-2004 | 01:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 2003 outlander that I bought in may of this year. This machine is awesome!! I live in colorado and have ridden it on some seriously rough terrain. I have over 200 mi on mine and have had only one problem, which was a clicking sound coming from the swing arm. The dealer installed a update and that took care of that noise. I have a 2001 traxter also. My wife likes it because of its stability. Both machines are built like tanks. But the outlander rides like a cadi. Before I bought mine I went out and rode all the quads out there and looked at many atv forums and appeared to me that there were less negative post about Bombardier than other manufacturer's quads. I have alot of money invested in these quads and last thing I need is a piece of junk! I have bad Knees and a failing back. After a days ride I feel good. I guess the pretty much says it.

Old 08-16-2004 | 11:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Here is my 2 cents. I purchased a 2004 400HO XT last September. It has been a great machine. I have 1400 miles on mine so far. This ATV has the best ride of any out there. The only problems I have had, 1. Clicking in reear swingarm, fixed 2. Broken weld, fixed. 3. Lost the VR at 1100 miles. Mine was an early 04 production and they hadn't moved them to the rear yet. Fixed. 4. Fogging of speedometer. Haven't worried to much about it. 5. Clanking from tranny ,(when you let off throttle and reapply throttle, example going over roots, rocks). I've been told this normal. I find it annoying. Seems to be alot of slop in tranny. I will be lubricating the one way clutch soon. this might help. The clanking noise started around 350 - 400 miles. 5. I put in longer adjustment screw in the headlights, so I could adjust them down farther then the stock screws. 6. Had to tightenall of the c-clamps as they were all loose. 7. Had to replace a bolt that holds the heat shield on. Lost one. Had to reattach oil filter after a few rough bumps(c-clamp was loose here also. These clamps I found loose after the first 100 miles or so).
I now belong to the plug club. Poked a hole in left rear tire about 400 miles ago. Plug has help up great.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I know it sounds like alot of problems, most were small things that noticed when expecting the atv over on weeknights.
I will say this the Outlander is alot easier to work on then my Father's Polaris.
I truly enjoy this machine. No matter what you buy, you will do some tinkering on it.
When I can afford it, I plan on buyng the Outlander Max for the Wife.
I paid 6200 tax included for my Outy.
Overall a great machine.

Old 09-06-2004 | 08:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

I purchased my outlander max last oct 20th. I now have 2429 KM and 130 hours on it. My problems started almost immediately. In early Nov I had problems starting it. The battery didn't have the juice to turn it over. So I pull started it. This worked well a few times, untill the pull start broke, about 20 miles from home. Luckily I was at a gas station and got a boost. The dealer replaced the voltage regulator, and ordered a new pull start. MY outlander has the VR mounted at the rear. Then next week the battery was dead again, so it was replaced. The gas tank was mounted crooked and the neck came through the fender at an angle, making the gas cap at an angle, causing it to scratch the fender when being turned. The speedo fogged and was taken in for a fix. The fix didn't work. This past weekend the Voltage regulator went again. Yesterday I took it to the dealer, and they replaced the speedo, the fender, and the VR. I have now owned the bike for 10 months. There was no charge. Having said all this, I must point out that I had contacted Bombardier about my problems and concerns, they were excellent. Very supportive. My dealer is excellent as well. He has never caused me any problems, and so far has offered a hassle free service. They believe the customer must be happy, and take steps to endure he is. I really like my outlander and it has never left me stranded..........yet. However I have had to tow a polaris 5 km through the bush though. But that is another story. Have a nice day all.

Quick Reply: PAST OR PRESENT OUTLANDER OWNERS: or someone who knows about it