CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

paranoid temp monitor wants a guage. egt/coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 01:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paranoid temp monitor wants a guage. Which egt best for DS?

for everything that gets hot i have ever owned/operated i am always worried about temp, and overheating.

I posted awhile back and it looked like the consensus was for an EGT sensor.
I have found a ton of different sensors/probes and the like on ebay, but am wondering what would be the best for the DS? (looks like some strap to the ehxaust, some you have to weld/tap a bung INTO the headers....and i think one or two other versions...

is there a website i can go to that sells a NIB one ready to go? (if its a ton of $$ i would just watch ebay for one) i just hate to bid on somthing, when i dont really know what its worth, or how/where to mount/wire them.

I would like somthing with an autometer style guage i could maybe mount to the bars? so i could always keep an eye on it, without having to stop or pull a secondary device out to hook up to whatever is measuring the temp in the pipe.

is this hard to setup? (what kind of probe should i look for that will be compatible to an autometer style guage? do all have to be welded inside the pipe the most accurate reading? i dont know how to weld (well nothing short of a weld the size of a soda can...) so i COULD have someone do it for me, but would be easier if i can get around it. (looks like some you can just drill/tap out and then screw in? that would be nice if that is in fact how they work.

And then what type of wiring would go between the probe and the guage? (need electrical or is it as easy as a wire that comes out of probe and plugs directly into guage?) I have found a few probes (some look really long...maybe they are from cars? too long to fit within diameter of the small I.D. ds pipes...

a quick definitions question. EGT i figured meant exhaust gas temp? and pyrometer = another name for EGT?

i was hoping to have everything done/installed for around 100 +/- possible/probable? (i like the clean look of autometer guages, but upon searching for them, looks some are 100-115 for JUST the guage? I found this one, which includes guage/wire/probe (everything i need?)

Pyrometer/egt setup

i remember awhile back seeing someone, or maybe a couple of people who fitted another guage into the DS "dash" (forgot who did it, and cant seem to find the pic in anyones profile page) What size guage is needed to fit into that extra space?That would help make it look clean so im not stuck with a huge guage bolted to the bars.

also one other idea if this is too expensive/complex....is a coolant guage.... i have seen a few that bolt right into the radiator to thermostat line with two hose clamps, then it has a guage built into it. (think it was 80 bucks?) any better ideas?

either way i just want to be able to get a read out, watch for variance, and compare it on here to what "normal" is for the ds.

Thanks in advance for any/all help.

Old 08-02-2004, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default paranoid temp monitor wants a guage. egt/coolant?

anybody have any comments/suggestions for me?

Old 08-02-2004, 10:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I am having the same problem as you. Looking to get a good temp gauge, for insurance. Mr. Meaner is running a Equis gauge, (similar to a autometer 2 3/4 inch gauge. 14mins has a gauge that fits the ds on ebay. Hightower sugguested an esr gauge. The gauges 14mins. and Hightower sugguest are inline gauges that hook into your send line from the radiator. Meaners gauge is a dash gauge and it looks very nice.

Old 08-02-2004, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

ya i have seen the heetseaker ones, but read a few people disliked them for poor quality and looks. (although 40 is cheap...) the site isnt very informative though.

Old 08-02-2004, 10:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Pm Mr. Meaner, he can give you more info. on the dash mount he uses it. My pm he sent me has disappeared.

Old 08-02-2004, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

i have a tach n water temp guage in my dash, i'll get a pic up if i can

Old 08-02-2004, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

Not too sure if a EGT gauge is what you should have to monitor the engine of the DS. I mounted a 21/16 mechanical autometer on my dash. It looks really clean take a look at my pics page. I got tired to the flaky factory idiot light. I guess EGT could help to determine if you are lean or not.

Old 08-02-2004, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

I'm having a aluminum dash fabricated alittle oversized to fit my tach, oil presure gauge, water temp gauge & a pyrometer gauge. I have all the gauges except for the pyrometer. I hope to have it completed before the Aledo Nationals.

Old 08-03-2004, 12:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Check out the Digatron
Web Link to www.digatron.cc
You should be able to get a dual indicator and I know you can put the tach on one indicator and the EGT on the other.

Cool thing is there are even warning lights so, you paranoid's can just look down every once and a while and make sure you don't see any flashing warning lights.
More

CountryJoe:

Can you make a dash for this unit?

Old 08-03-2004, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider

I'm still going to have the warning lights also. That way if one of the lights come on I can just check the gauges to verify that the warning lights aren't malfunctioning.

Quick Reply: paranoid temp monitor wants a guage. egt/coolant?