CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Got my Honda 450R..... MAN I ABSOLUTLY LOVE THIS THING!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my Honda 450R..... MAN I ABSOLUTLY LOVE THIS THING!!!!

pushin'
My friend has a 450R. My take was opposite of yours. I thought it rode alot like the 400EX in that the speed pick up is decieving. It didn't "feel" that fast to me, but it was. Feels like you barely touch the ground. It does have a high 1st gear, but not bad. The motor feels weak on the bottom but pulls hard to the top once revs are up a little. Almost the opposite of a 400EX in that way.

Old 08-04-2004, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider

congrats and thanks for the post. what kind of trails do you ride,most of the mountain trails in Co are a little rocky, would this be a problem for the 450R, I am thinking of adding this bike to my stable. Also how tall are you and your weight, I am 6.0 feet 210 , worried about being cramped a bit,I am very used to the big comfortable DS.

Old 08-05-2004, 01:04 AM
Range Rover

I love the 450r also. Awesome bike. I have two friends with those, and two friends with the Yammies. I personally prefer the Hondas. We installed the HRC kit in both the Hondas, that really woke them up. We just installed a Sparks pipe on one. All I can say for now is WOW! Lots of power, and real nice pipe. Save the money on the HRC kit, go with a full system, and cam. I can't quote any HP yet on the Sparks pipe, we need to take it to Ken's to dyno. But it definately compliments the HRC cam better than the cap that comes with the kit.

Dropping one tooth on your counter gets rid of that low end lug on the Honda, if it bothers you.

One thing I really like about the Honda is how easy it is to pop the front end up. It's almost like being on a 3 wheeler again. Really comes in handy on desert rides.

Old 08-05-2004, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider

Congrats man, youll love it.

I think i changed the oil on my 450r about 3 times (tranny/engine) before i had 10 hrs on it. Dont worry about the black looking oil in the site glass. Brand new oil will look that way after 5 minutes of riding. Adjust your suspension, i think mine was set for a 300lb guy from factory. Put loctite on your heat shield screws or say goodbye to them.

Have fun with it.

Old 08-05-2004, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

What is included in the HRC kit?

Old 08-05-2004, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MudStud
What is included in the HRC kit?
Cam, airbox lid, main jet and needle, snorkel for the air box, end cap and some other little stuff.

Old 08-07-2004, 03:48 AM
Pro Rider

Well my internet at my house is being a b!tch so I'm using my girlfriend's. Anyway, Kaiser, some of the trails around here are smaller and yet some are wide and open. there are smooth trails and a lot are rutted and rough too. I wiegh about 160 pounds and I'm about 5'6" tall and the 450R fits me perfect! But my Dad is about 190-200 pounds and he feels comfortable on it too. I guess you would just have to ride one to see how it feels for you.

I have about 3 tanks of gas through it and I changed oil twice. It's running great and I raced my friend with a 400EX with a white Brothers full system pipe. Louder than hell so I couldn't even hear mine running so I couldn't tell what RPM I was at to shift. He was about 2 quad legnths behind me in about 300ft but I think I was just bouncing off the limiter the whole time because I couldn't hear the motor. I mean if I was shifting at the right rpm I should have been able to make his 400ex look pretty silly.

At a local dealer I have an HRC kit set off too the side for me to pick up. It's everything in the HRC kit except the cam. They will sell it to me for $50 so I can't pass it up. I should be able to find a cam somewhere, may be a even better cam than what the HRC caam is, if there is a more wicked grind cam? someone let me know what the hot ticket is for a cam in the 450R please. May be it IS the HRC cam? Sparks? Rossier? let me know.

As for a full system exhaust I will ask for a Rossier Engineering full system pipe for my birthday in the next month. I've heard very good things about them and I think they look swidizzle!! also with the spark arrestor the have a tolerable DB level. UNLESS someone can imform me of a few of the top exhaust systems for the 450R? Sound is definatly an issue and I would prefere an exhaust system that's 98DB or lower but I want something that's gonna give me good power gains. That's why I'm wanting the Rossier pipe plus I have a friend that knows the people at Rossier so may be I can get a deal on a pipe?? Enlighten me someone.....

As for gearing down to the 13 tooth front sproket, I'm definatly gonna order one soon! It takes a good run to get wound out in 5th the way it is now, plus on the trails I don't get out of 3rd gear so it would help me out a lot I think. Will my top speed suffer from this? I was thinkin it might even be better because it don't seem like it revs out in 5th.... what do you think? Sorry for all the questions, but thanks.

Old 08-08-2004, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider

I'm considering on getting one. Either adding a 3rd quad or selling off the Raptor. My Raptor is giving me throttle response problems and might b e time to get rid of her. I started a new job and we are doing signs for a local and new Honda dealer. I met the owner and he mentioned he can do something for me on the 450R.

I've ridden one with an HRC kit equivalent and it had a nice bottom (Unlike the YFZ's I've ridden) and felt very light, nimble, and comfortable (unlike the YFZ). Deftinetly left me impressed. I never really was much a Honda fan but I like the 450R. My gripe with it however is that everyone has em and the kick start kind of bums me out. I always felt Honda had a funny way of the direction of how you kick start the machine (forward kick doesn't feel like such a natural motion as reverse).

Old 08-08-2004, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

As soon as I can sell my beast I will get one. I really really want it!

I will drive up to 300 miles to sell my DS!

Old 08-08-2004, 02:19 AM
Pro Rider

Entomber, the kick starting is really easy on the 450R. Starts the first kick usually and I can start mine without even standing up. Plus with the battery/electrical problems on my DS, it's nice to not having to worry about being stranded out in the woods without another alternative to start your quad. I was left stranded on my DS numerous times, one time out in the middle of a frozen lake at night because of a low battery. I rather have a reliable and extremely easy kick start. can anyone answer a few of my q's? I realize I'm not on the honda forum so I better try there. thanks.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Got my Honda 450R..... MAN I ABSOLUTLY LOVE THIS THING!!!!