CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Outlander Clanking and More.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outlander Clanking and More.

First heres a lil history on my lander.
A couple of months ago i had a BAD wreck on my lander. Almost totaled.. Anyways, before that i had had the "clanking" since about 20hrs. This is a drivetrain clanking, not the side to side thing.. And it wasnt that bad.
Until..
My wreck.
Since then it has increased 10fold. Its almost constant under deceleration and when the quad is underway and the throttle is in the position between go and slow. Its downright annoying. We took it too the dealer and they "fixed" a part that was cracked and said it was fixed.
Well that wasnt the case. Whatever it was, it wasnt the problem. As soon as i took the quad off of the truck at home i heard the noise.
So a lets forward to a few weeks later(now)... We just took it in last week about the noise and a few other things.
Today we called the dealer and asked the progress.. They said the noise is caused by some worn beyond spec clutch parts. HOLD UP!
Worn clutch parts? When did that happen? In 100hrs and 1000 miles? All of the sudden after a wreck this noise apears and they blame it on the clutch??? Do i look like a tard? lol
Anyways thats what they are saying... And im not buying it...

You guys have any input on the subject?

Old 08-16-2004, 11:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Powerstroke, I too have the clanking like you described. Mine started around the first couple of hundred miles or so. I now have 1400. I was told it is the way it is. Last month I took all of the skin around the sides off. removed the cover over theCVT unit nad the cover over the oil filter. I took it for a ride. The clutch is part of the clanking but I also believe there is slop in the tranny. Dealer says it is normal. I have alittle over 2 years left on warrenty and I plan on riding it like I do and I hope what is causing this clanking will cause a major tranny problem that Bombardier will have to fix. Overall a great machine. My parts guy is great, but the actual techs at the dealer I purchased mine from haven't that much experiance on Outys yet. They service mostly Polaris. Time will tell. One other thing there is a one way clutch on the outy that needs to be lubed every 1100 miles or so. I plan on doing it this weekend. I don't have alot of faith that this will cure the clanking, we will see.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

I also have the clanking noise only when first applying the throttle @ low RPM's goes away after that. I do notice its worse when in 4WD with the wheels turned. I believe its comming from somewhere in the front drive train area.

It sounds awful & I was hoping to find the cure on this forum but it seems nobody has pinpointed it yet.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:51 AM
Pro Rider

if you pull your cvt cover off and watch while you rev it up you'll see the cvt in the front move back and forth and once you get past a certain point it quits making noises ... theres little black tab type things that if you replace them its fixed on the ones that i've seen like this

Old 07-14-2007, 01:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks I will look into that