CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS Ported Intake, did it my self - Results AAA++.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS Ported Intake, did it my self - Results AAA++.

is that to say trim it flush with adjoining surfaces or to trim it clean off ??

Old 08-16-2004, 02:29 PM
sam
Pro Rider

This is just a Idea I was thinking. Ok having this differance in size between the carb and intake, with the carb mouth being 42mm and say the intake is hoged out to 45-47mm for more flow. Picture this as the air charge passes through the carb and into the boot to the intake it comes through w/ such fource that it picks up that little pocket of air around the boot and carb for more air in the charge. next the intake valve closes everything is at a stand still that pocket fills back up w/ air and when the valve opens again it draws that little bit of extra air in to the charge. I think cause the force of the charge comming through the carb then in to the larger manifold picking up that little bit of extra air cause the intake is now larger the turbulence is gona be minimal JMO

I think of my old 250R having this empty bottle hooked up to the intake like what is this for? well thinking about it a little bit , I think its for a extra charge of air under sudden acceleration, then fills back up w/ air when the throttle is choped and so on.

Now Im not advocating a boost bottle on top of the manifold w/ out proper testing of course
but its just a thought

whew thats one of the longest post I put up in a while. Whats up with long posts when Freez is around[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Sam

Old 08-16-2004, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider

sounds good!! well cars use that method like an tpi system off the 80s camaros its called the plenum. it stores air for better responce and the longer the intake runner the better low end torque is. on the ds you whant to keep your intake the same size a your carb, when you are polishing it. 45mm carb inside dia and 45mm inside on the manifold.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] did i make any head way or was that just mumbo jumbo[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-16-2004, 02:51 PM
Pro Rider

Hmmmmm. I think your on to something... I just dont think that there would be near enough volume in the "gaps / pockets" to have any boost effect.

Ive never been a two stroke guy but is that what the Boost Bottle was all about ?

Old 08-16-2004, 02:54 PM
Pro Rider

on a ds no there isnt. a banshee uses some what of the same method. i think it has another purpose also. plus i like your nickname prozack[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-16-2004, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks ... long story behind that.. Nothing to do with the Rx version tho....

Old 08-16-2004, 03:51 PM
Pro Rider

I think on a banshee the boost bottle equalizes the charge. That way if one carb is way off it should compensate.

Old 08-16-2004, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DStroyer
Freez,

Im curious, what machine do you ride, and what have you done to yours? You offer up lots and lots of input to everyone, and everyone seems to be wrong. ( accept you) . Im not starting anything here, Im just wondering when and where some of us could see your amazingly built machine. With all the input you have towards everyones modifications, I could only imagine your quad has to be the fastest 4 stroke going. Where are you from, and where do you ride?? I see in your profile you say your from South Africa????????? Is there alot of call for heavily modded 4 strokes down there???????????

Please shed some light onto this, Ive been reading your replies to many, many posts, but I have yet to see or hear about your quad.

Thank you,

Gary

Come to think of it, this guy reminds me of KNUTZ. I would almost bet that he has the same IP address as KNUTZ and WickedDS. Can someone prove me wrong?

DuneDevil

Old 08-17-2004, 07:56 AM
Pro Rider

BajaXRider04, nothing personal and I am not trying to give you a slap in the face. You have done great work on the intake and I am happy you can report the performance gain. My post was purely asking why you grinded the lip away. Shmee and Prozack actually understand my point I was trying to make. Grinding the intake opening bigger than the carb is not going to achieve anything. The carb size is where the restriction is and making the intake diameter larger than the carb diameter is pointless. If you are installing a bigger carb, then by all means, make the intake bigger. The grinding of the rest of the intake I agree with and everyone has indicated that it adds more HP, which is a good thing. No argument there from me. Any flowbench operator will tell you that if you have pumps, gaps and holes in the intake track it will reduce flow. For the best flow, the parts must align 100% to the other and form a constant and smooth flow surface. You might have had the same increase in performance, without grinding the lip down.

Now, to the personal questions about me. Yes I actually live in South Africa, born and raised here. Please feel free to check my IP address. I ride a stock raptor with a Curtis Spark exhaust, L&A adaptor, Dynojet kit and some special mods I have done to the intake and stock carbs. I don't race and I don't build race motors and I have never in my life made a claim that I own the fastest quad out there. What I do have is that I grew up around a father that built motors, for off road racing cars. I spent most of my early years learning his tricks and secrets. After school, I studied electronics, and aeronautics. I worked for an aeronautic company for a while, plus I also worked on electronics and high tech data and communication equipment for the last 10 years.

In my spare time I keep myself busy with all the technical engineering manuals and books I can find. I collect any technical write-up about cars, bikes, quads and formula 1 motors. I also spend a lot of time reading white papers and technical info about any design, performance and motor enhancement I can get my hands on. I also write technical articles for a quad magazine here in South Africa. On the technical side I keep myself busy by testing performance products on quads as part of my work for the magazine. I have access to 2 different dynos, any quads performance part you can make or import, exhaust builders and intake design experts, flow benches and just about any mechanical and software engineering tool you can think about. I personally know lots of mechanics that work on quads and other high performance motors, and speak to them about their experience and findings on a weekly basis. I even help some of them design new parts for quads. One of these mechanics is the rider of the DS that won the Paris to Dakar race last year. He should also know a thing or two about the DS.

I personally do all the setup and manual work on all the quads and performance equipment I test. I have access to hundreds of dyno runs and setups for just about any quad out there. I also do a massive amount of software and mathematical simulation to see why some parts work and others don't.

In the next two months I will be conducting extensive testing on the raptor and the DS, to see what each performance part adds to the stock setup. This will involve days of dyno testing and jetting. How many people on here have tested the DS to this extent? Maybe one or two? How many people on here have tested OTHER makes of quads to this extent? I do not sell anything, so I have nothing to gain from trying to promote a product, or claiming I have a better solution. I am completely independent and I don't get paid a cent to do this work.

I get my kicks from taking a stock motor and making it produce the power others get with after market parts. I don’t change pistons, cam, carbs and other stuff any idiot with a spanner can do. There is not skill required in that.

You know what is the most rewarding thing. When you done a drag race against a guy that spent thousands on his bike, and you beat him with a modified stocker! The guys riding the quads I worked on know this feeling real well.

The reason why I am on the Bomb forum is to learn more about people’s experiences and performance tweaks on the DS. I also spend a massive amount of time on other forums. Sometimes I learn some new tricks, and I love it when someone has something original and worth while. Like I said I collect anything and everything and I will ask questions and comment about things I do not understand. I don't claim I know everything, but if someone does or says something that is not according to the info I have, I will question them about it. If they have a point and they have the facts to prove it, hell, I’ll be the first to adopt their new point of view.

Experience in aeronautics gave me all the practical info I need to understand everything about airflow and how air behaves and moves around object and thru passages. Airflow is probably the most critical part of any motor. I also stated that I have access to flow benches and the years of experience of the guys using these tools.

So, that was more about me.

Now for those people that think I am talking bull.

For DStroyer and DuneDevil, I dare you to prove me wrong! Please list your experience and the technical articles or engineering white papers you have to prove your point. I have allways stated that I will be glad to admit I am wrong. Come on I dare you. Show us your stuff.

Old 08-17-2004, 08:43 AM
Pro Rider

Freeze , Thank you for clearing that up. Impressive backround too I might add.
I thinks its important to understand that you may sometimes come off a little heavy handed when debunking other peoples findings or ideas. Most of us dont have near the technical or practical backround that you do in this area and when we "stumble" upon something which you may consider obvious or "old news" we will take offense to that. I think you have seen that on occasion...yes?
I think its safe to say that for us weekend warriors who work 9-5 in the local widget factory or may be full time students and wrench on our beloved DS,s in the spare time, will fight to the death to defending our minor findings and progress to make our rides better. We are proud of our work no matter how trivial it may seem to others.

I and others whom subscribe to this forum, thirst for information to make our hobbys / passions more enjoyable. Working at the widget factory isnt exactly cutting edge work and can be downright boooooorrrring. Ill take All info reguardless of whom it comes from and will make my own decisions as to what works best for me.

Freeze.. thanks again for coming out in the open and I look forward to any info Mr.HP, 222, you and all the other people reguardless of skill level on this forum have to offer... Even if I dont understand it yet or dont agree if I do!

IM OUT !!

Prozack.....

Quick Reply: DS Ported Intake, did it my self - Results AAA++.