CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

NEW BIKE..A DS650 or a YFZ450? which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 03:09 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW BIKE..A DS650 or a YFZ450? which is better?

I've got a 2003 DS650 with all the trick mods and Elkas all around and the bike is like riding a Limo. I did the MR. HP Lectron carb and all the other tricks. I love the bike. NOW, being as I just wrecked my wife's fully tricked out 97 Banshee with a Duncan Grand National motor I need to get another bike she can ride. I just think the DS 650 is a little too heavy for a girl and that the lighter YFZ450 might be a better choice?? Now, I'm going to ride it as well. What will I like better another DS 650 or get her the lighter 2005 YFZ450? They make all sorts of Trick stiff for the 450. The weight at 350 pounds for a 450 is very inticing for a girl to ride!!!!
She didn't like the kick start on the Banshee and once she was going she hauled ***! She stalled it a lot and wants the elec. starting feature. The 4 stroke better low end and the elec start on the 450 is nice. I just don't think I want two bikes of the same make & model. I loved the banshee and I just want something a little different to ride. We ride mostly in the sand and a little in the dirt. What do guys think? We are senior citizens in training and I have to get her a new bike in the next 2 weeks. glwbear@netmagic.net

Old 08-17-2004, 03:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

It's the "Senior Citizens in training" that concerns me with the YFZ.

Obviously with the purchase of those Elka's you are into having a comfy ride. If she is into a soft ride too I think she will want to ride the DS. Sand can get rough sometimes and the bigger DS really soaks up the rough stuff.

I like the YFZ for the lightness too but, my mid 30's Wife and her sore back couldn't handle that tight of suspension.

If your Wife doesn't have a bad back it may not be an issue.

If you are looking for a good second bike and you want something other than the DS, I think the Y is a good choice right now.

Wish Bomb would get the 450 dual cylinder in a light quad. That would be THE ONE!

Old 08-17-2004, 10:31 AM
Pro Rider

Dont get the DS for the wife ... My wife HATES the fact its so heavy to get un-stuck. Just too much for a girl I guess. Stick with the lighter 4 strokes W/ electric start.

My .02

Old 08-17-2004, 11:02 AM
Elite Pro Rider

if you put the 22"haulers on the ds the getting stuck isn't as much of a issue, i know the ds is heavy but most girls will find 350 and actually more than that to be heavy also so i'd go with the comfy ride. having two of the same is actually kind of nice. you can always upgrade yours and give them the old parts[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-17-2004, 11:09 AM
Pro Rider

Sandman you have a valid point.... I just wish I could teach her to not park going uphill and then try drive it away by just putting !! Bottom line is some women just dont get how to ride. I honestly dont think my wife would do well unless it had snowmobile tracks on both sides. She used to get stuck with her Warrior too !

GLWBEAR ... does she want a new quad ?? Would she pick it out ?

Old 08-17-2004, 11:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

My Wife does have an 04 YFZ 450 here is what she tells me.

+++++
Great power
Light weight
good jumping
great top end
Fits on virtually all trails

-------
Doesn't like 1st or 2nd gear (to much vibration)
hard seat
front end is too light (always wheelies)
shocks o.k. when jumping (not so good through whoops, and bumpie terrian)
angle of handle bar is hard on thumb. (I think she needs to get used to this one and quit complaining)

Old 08-17-2004, 11:20 AM
Trailblazer

Get the DS... After the 1st trip she will love it. Mine was nervous the 1st trip getting used to the size but now she has no problem. And I do agree having 2 of the same bikes is a plus. Spare parts etc... and when yours is getting upgraded you won't mind riding hers!!!!!

Old 08-17-2004, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

Between those two I would say: If she weighs less than 140 definitely get her the YFZ. If she weighs more than 180 definitely get her the DS.

But if I were buying a sport quad for my wife it would not be the YFZ or the DS, ... it would be the Z400. Something important to consider is whether you are you buying an ATV for her, or another ATV for yourself that you are going to let her ride? I have been guilty of the latter far too many times, and for some reason my wife never seems to like what I buy her.

Old 08-17-2004, 01:40 PM
Trailblazer

The only thing that I will say is that I feel alot more comfortable with her on a DS than some of the smaller quads due to the fact if she makes a mistake shifting or??..... The DS has the power to overcome if need be. I have seen several inexperienced riders get into trouble just for the fact that the quad they were on was under powered. (I'm not saying you need to put hers on the bottle!) Just my 2 cents!

Old 08-17-2004, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider

Outerlimit,
I totally agree. My wife hated my DS, but loved her 400EX. The Z400 or KFX400 is just a better 400EX. The 450R is better (IMO) than the YFZ, but you are back to a kickstart with it. What about the 05 TLD Pred???? Still kinda heavy though.

Quick Reply: NEW BIKE..A DS650 or a YFZ450? which is better?