CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Getting ready to change clutch springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Getting ready to change clutch springs

Picked up a set of RWR 60% springs and am planning to install this weekend. I have read most of the previous posts on this topic but have a couple of questions.

1) Tilt the DS on its side - How far on its side do I need to tilt it and should I do this before I start loosening any of the clutch cover bolts?

2) Once I go to pull off the clutch cover should I expect any fluid (coolant or oil) to run out?

3) Does anybody know the total number of bolts holding on the clutch cover. There appears to be quite a few.

Old 08-19-2004, 05:41 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you need to change the oil just leave the ds flat i think the reinstasll is easier this way. i drain the little water that comes out first, oh i raise mine to about waist level i use tie down straps to hold it. the side case bolt to watch is the one with the copper washer. the long ones are easy to see where they go. you also have to remove the one bolt to the foot peg at the front you will see it if you lokk for it. the springs i do one at a time, there won't be any fluid leak on oil if you tilt.when putting the side case back on be very careful not to break the clutch actuator, that is the reason for the leave flat if you need to change fluids. if you tilt up it tends to turn and not line up with the spiled shaft. if it is hard at all stop and see what the bind is.

Old 08-19-2004, 06:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I used a cinder block under the front and rear tires to hold the quad on its side. Just tilt it as far as you can without the quad becoming unstable. Remember to remove the bolt in the foot pegs. The cover will remove much easier.

With it up on its side none of the oil will come out. You must drain the coolant.

Old 08-19-2004, 08:09 PM
Elite Pro Rider

don't drain all the coolant just kink the hose from the rad and then you will just have to top it off when done.

Old 08-19-2004, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider

for future reference, which bolt has the copper washer? (the lowest of the 3 on the water pump cover?)

what is the reason for the washer anyway? (not sure if mine is still there or not...lol)

Old 08-19-2004, 08:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The bottom bolt on the water pump impellar.

Old 08-19-2004, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

does it prevent it from leaking? (wondering if i need to find/replace mine if it is in fact gone)

Old 08-19-2004, 10:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I lost mine and ran without it for one trip to the dunes with no leakage problems. But I have since replaced it. But I did not go with another brass one, found a metal one of the same size.

Old 08-19-2004, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

I just replaced my springs, and used the tilting method. I didn't lose any coolant.....as a matter of fact I never even saw any.... and my resevoir shows full, and the bike never over heats.....Hmmmm.... Should I be concerned? I sure hope all is good in my DS. The whole process was pretty easy, and definately worth it!!!
Justin

Old 08-19-2004, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

alright ill just have to keep a lookout for a similar sized washer... (i have noticed a slight loss in coolant (after a long trip my resevoir will be probably an inch lower from when i started)

Freakneh: i assume you didnt pull the water pump cover off? (it is connected to the clutch cover by 3 bolts) if you didnt pull either of the hoses/bolts/cover than you wouldnt see any coolant, and wouldnt lose any either.

Quick Reply: Getting ready to change clutch springs