CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Installing ASR upper a-arms

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing ASR upper a-arms

as always Hightower comes thru. Thanks!

Old 09-11-2004, 02:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Okay my final setting on geometry after riding all over and tweeking, as measured last night with the Dasco Pro Angle Finder is:
7 degrees caster cut back from the 8 I tried originally), 2 degrees camber, 1/4" toe-in with me on the seat in ride position.
This is where I like it best for everything.

Angle Finder for $4.99, magnetic base

Old 09-11-2004, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider

for what type of riding did you set it up to?

Old 09-11-2004, 04:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I ride a half and half mix of dunes and woods trails - the dunes are wide open with a lot of high speed, the woods I ride is mostly 2nd gear stuff and very technical and tight.
the increased caster offers much better stability at high speed, and the toe-in I'm able to have as a result is great for a tight turning radius in the woods.

the baja winning DS setup by Timmy Boy at the time ran 7 degrees of caster, 1 degree camber, and 3/8 toe-in.

Old 09-11-2004, 06:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey wassup guys i have not posted on here for ages.. hello all.. if you wondered my YFZ is still kickin *** and taking names.. anyway to help i had those ASRs on my DS.. great product for the money, very sturdy.. TWO things to NOTE.. first that if you lift the front end of the bike off the ground(full droop..) those arms WILL hit the shocks.. the part that the bolt threads through.. it will hit aftermarket shocks with the spring that runs all the way to the bottom at least.. anyway i grinded the inside of the arms, the housing for the joint, and the threaded end of the joint off.. till it would clear.. no big deal took 20 mins.. dont let it ruin your shocks on your first trip cause you did not check this though.... Second. those heims wear out quick.. they are high mis-alignment so thats just great but they wear out quick.. i replaced mine about every 75 hours.. youll see the front wheels will start to have allot of play.. Quadman charges $16 dollars per heim i think it was.. lastly quick note the lub is teflon, and it is mixed in the metal of the heim.. ie they lube themselves as they wear.. adding any kind of lub..ie wd40 etc.. will only attract debrie and shorten the life of the joint.... ... well just saw two old friends, hightower and countryjoe.. wanted to steer you in the right directions... JOE.. did ya ever get shocks or a Lectron?.. if so how they working for ya... well guys have fun, ill see ya around.. basically the yama forum is crap.. i have never posted anything.. theres just too many yama models so the questions and answers are so far out there....but the YFZ is everything you hear about and more.. i got mine moded pretty heavy , got arms and shocks.. it jumps like you wouldnt belive.. the only time i miss the big DS is when my 110lb wife is on the back of me in the dunes... the YFZ definatly feels it then.. nowhere near the torque of my old ds.. wont come out of the hole in sand half as well as the DS would with over 300lbs loaded on......... but with just me.. the thing is lightening fast...no deny'n it... have fun guys
Jetjock16

Old 09-11-2004, 08:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

thanks Jetcock, good to see you again!

But the part about the heim mount hitting the shock, it doesn't have to, I kinda mentioned it earlier above, and on my website.
All you have to do is adjust the pivot heims out far enough to get the clearance, no grinding necesary. The farther you screw out the pivot heims, the farther the balljoint mount will be from the shock. With the pivot heims all the way in, it will dent the shock, but 4 turns out on both of them and I got 1/4" clearance no problem.
Shame on ASR for not including instructions to show this. The tires should be off the ground for installation, so the shocks would be fully extended, and you can see your clearance, or lack there of...

another note - keep the carwash wand off the heims best you can, just like your chain.

Old 09-11-2004, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider

what manufacter or part number is on those heims? These. Aurora Rod Ends are some of the strongest and most durable.

jbt

Old 09-12-2004, 09:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

hey thanks for the link slowride!