CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

So you thought you had a Big Truck, right?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004 | 06:36 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!
Default So you thought you had a Big Truck, right?

Originally posted by: OneFlyCowboy
Originally posted by: Bing
I wonder if the height would hinder hauling a 5th wheel?
The plate shouldnt bee any higher. I mean i could hook up to your fifth wheel with the kenworth so why not that?
gotcha

Now that i got the gvwr stuff straight,,,,6 tons in the bed is pretty impressive. It would have to be loaded with gold,,,to fit 6 tons in there.

i would still wanta little better top speed however

Old 09-18-2004 | 08:36 PM
Pro Rider

I would think that the height of the bed sides on this truck would definitely limit towing a fifth wheel. The top of the bed sides on my one ton Duramax 4x4 are 52" off the ground, with the 3,000 lb pin weight of our toyhauler hooked to the hitch. And there is the perfect amount of space (about 7") between the top of the bed sides, and the bottom of the overhanging fifth wheel portion of the toy hauler. (picture)

I haven't seen one of these trucks in person, but I can tell you by looking at the picture that the top of the bed sides is a whole lot more than 4'-4" off the ground. I'll bet it is closer to 6' off the ground, ... so if you want the same 7" of space between the top of the bed sides and the bottom of the overhanging fifth wheel portion of your trailer, you are going to need roughly a 20" lift on your toyhauler. Sorry, but that ain't gonna happen.

I would suspect that they will be selling these trucks with a flat bed option, and you will be able to convert your fifth wheel hitch to a gooseneck hitch that will work with this truck. Many of the really big fifth wheel toy haulers are already too big to <u>legally</u> be towed by a one ton pickup, so I can definitely see a place for these trucks towing big 5er's, and they will need to accomodate that if they want to attract that substantial portion of the market for these trucks. The pickup bed on the back looks cool, so they show that in the pictures, but I'll bet most of these trucks get sold with flat beds.

OuterLimit.

Old 09-18-2004 | 09:20 PM
Pro Rider

Couch, I just have a loyalty to Cat. You see I work in the natural gas industry and the Cats make up about 60% off my run. These things run constant for years and years at 100% horsepower, I shut them down once a month and do a 3-4 hour maintenace and thats the only break they get. I have seen only 2 detroits out here in the field and let me tell you what, they are oil leaking no runnin pigs. I am not tryin to knock detroits because I have no experiance with them in OTR trucks. But the Mack truck is the only field truck that can hang BAR NONE.

Old 09-19-2004 | 10:23 AM
Pro Rider

Another thing too, While those trucks are the coolest looking truck I have seen, I wonder how they would actually do towing a trailer out on the dunes. Those tires dont look any wider, and typically, duallies just sink in the sand. I think they would be great hauling things to the dunes, Im just not sure how they would do on the dunes - Im thinking they would sink without some pretty big tires.

Old 09-19-2004 | 01:49 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: OregonDunePatrol
Another thing too, While those trucks are the coolest looking truck I have seen, I wonder how they would actually do towing a trailer out on the dunes. Those tires dont look any wider, and typically, duallies just sink in the sand. I think they would be great hauling things to the dunes, Im just not sure how they would do on the dunes - Im thinking they would sink without some pretty big tires.
curb weight 14,500 lbs
I would say you are correct.

Old 09-19-2004 | 02:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: OuterLimit
Many of the really big fifth wheel toy haulers are already too big to <u>legally</u> be towed by a one ton pickup
OuterLimit.

You have my attention!

What do you mean?

If you're talking about tongue weight on a tow trailer I can agree but, not sure about 5th wheels. Didn't know they had issues too.

Old 09-19-2004 | 03:34 PM
|
Extreme Pro Rider

ODP / Bing,

You are right about those duals. They are much better than a single thin tire, but even two thin tires don't do as well as one would hope - however the trucking industry has a solution. They do have 'super singles' which are physically twice as wide as the normal tire and take a much wider rim. Not to mention they also hold twice the weight so you are still good in that area. To have a truck like the CXT and not have super singles on it - seems like a waste to me. The bigger / wider tires make it look like one mean 4x4, whereas the duals in the rear just make it look like a big pickup. (You can also get the super singles in front as well, makes for a really killer look - just like your '94 F250.) In the real world, the most common trucks you will see running super singles are Cement Trucks - in Southern California, I believe all of Robertsons Ready Mix trucks have them, as well as the 6x6 Newport Beach trash trucks that go out onto the beach to empty the bins they have on the sand.

Here is another website where they do the same sort of thing (the web site needs some help, but you'll get the idea.)

http://www.f650pickups.com/indexb.html

The truck on the front page of this site has the super singles, I think you'll agree it is a much better 'dunes' configuration. Also check out my picture gallery, I've got a picture of an F650 someone had at Glamis - which as you can tell is doing quite well on the sand.

Old 09-19-2004 | 04:05 PM
Pro Rider

Dang ..... those are really nice ..... I used to think my truck was sweet, but sheesh! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] - Dont tell her I said that!

Old 09-19-2004 | 05:13 PM
Pro Rider

Just what I need for my dailey commute to work!

Old 09-19-2004 | 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DuneMe

You have my attention!

What do you mean?

If you're talking about tongue weight on a tow trailer I can agree but, not sure about 5th wheels. Didn't know they had issues too.
I was just implying that you can't legally exceed the weight ratings of your tow vehicle. If you get stopped and weighed, and you are overweight, it is a very expensive ticket. There are several weight ratings that you need to keep in mind, such as the GVWR of both the truck and trailer, the GCVWR of the truck, and the maximum rated towing capacity of the truck. Our fifth wheel toy hauler is really just a "mid-sized" fifth wheel, at 37', but technically it can exceed my one-ton trucks maximum rated towing capacity because it's GVWR is 16,950 lbs, and the trucks maximum rated towing capacity for a fifth wheel trailer is 16,800 lbs. If you step up from the "mid-size" fifth wheels, to the "large" fifth wheels in the 40' to 41' range, the problem gets even worse. A 40' KZ fifth wheel toyhauler with triple slides has a GVWR of 19,500 lbs, which is significantly above the one ton truck with the highest rated fifth wheel towing capacity in the industry, which is the Dodge 3500, rated at 17,400 lbs.

OuterLimit

Quick Reply: So you thought you had a Big Truck, right?